lethargic molly...new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollymama

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've browsed several forums lately, searching for advice on setting up a new tank, caring for fish, etc. So far I like AA best, so I finally signed up and now have a question (actually, I have lots, but I'll start with this one!).

I have (well, it's my daughter's but she's 5, so all major responsibility is up to me at the moment) a 10 gallon tank with 2 mollies. We're starting week 5 of the cycling process, and so far everything has been going well. Fish have been lively, eating well, active...until today. One of the fish has been lethargic, hanging around the bottom corner of the tank much of the day, although she has been interested in food. She also seems to be a little limp in the tail area...like she's not giving it her all when swimming.

I did a partial water change (10%) yesterday and rinsed out the filter. (I read just now that this may not have been a good idea, however, since bacterial colonies are still developing. Oops?) I had the water tested at teh pet store today and was told no specifics on numbers, but that yes, ammonia was a little high. I asked about nitrites and was told all looked ok.

I guess I'll just watch her closely tomorrow, but what do you think this might be? I've been reading about swim bladder disorders, parasites, etc. Of course this has got me worried that I'm going to soon have to tell my daughter that her fish is sick. Any thoughts/advice are appreciated, thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, rinsing out your filter was the wrong thing to do. You may have to begin entirely again on your cycle.

Because you're cycling with fish in the tank, you should probably increase your water changes to 25-50% per day. Mollies actually have a VERY large bioload and aren't generally suited for a 10 gallon, but since you already have them you need to be extra prolific on your changes.

It's possible your fish has ammonia poisoning, but usually sickness can be cured by frequent water changes, not overfeeding, and sometimes hypersalinity. Do you use aquarium salt?

Aaaargh...I'm so mad at myself for messing up the filter! I came across the instructions to change the filter every 2-4 weeks and since we just finished week 4, I figured I had better at least rinse it out. Totally forgot about the bacteria issue. I'm such a newbie. :(

No, I haven't added salt. How much salt should I add, and how often?

Really? A 25-50% water change that large per day? That seems pretty large, but then again I know about nuthin' (obviously) on the subject!

yeah... did you rinse it much though? If you just rinsed a little, especially if you rinsed in PWC water, you might be okay.

You can add salt, especially with mollies, but just add it slowly. (Buy aquarium salt, don't use table salt). At first, maybe add a teaspoon for five gallons during a PWC, but eventually you can do up to maybe a heaping tablespoon per five gallons. Just follow the instructions on the thing, but do it slowwwly. Acclimation is everything!

And yep! You can sure do that much per day! The good bacteria lives in the filter and gravel, not the water, so it'll only help. Just make sure the water is treated first and is the same temperature as the water in the tank.

I did...I rinsed the heck out of it. With tap water. Again...argh.

I will definitely do a water change tomorrow. Quick question...I have water sitting now, overnight, so it's at least room temp by tomorrow. Is it bad to use warm water from the tap to speed up the process? Or does that add more bad chemical properties to the water? (I do have dechlorinator, so at least I'm doing something right...)

Thanks so much for your replies!

There's nothing wrong with using warm water. Actually, if you have a dechlor, you don't have to let the water sit overnight. Just make sure it's the same temp as the tank and it's treated, then you can pour it right in.

No problem! glad to help!

Mollies can reach 5" and have a HUGE bio-load at that size. They are not suitable for less than 29 gallon tanks :(

I would highly recommend a liquid master test kit. You really can't trust the pet stores to tell you what you need to know. At this point you need to be testing daily in order to know how to proceed with water changes, etc.

Back
Top Bottom