Lets Start Fresh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dixiegirl89

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, some of you may know that I recently purchased a 60 gal. tank. I had a lot of problems in the beginning but after a few weeks of cycling its pretty stable. Here's the thing, since the water was so unstable I started losing fish and diseases started forming in the tank. I know it was my fault for adding fish too early and I take full responsibility for it and any deaths that happened. I want to start over, I want to redo this nightmare and turn it into a dream. So thats where you guys come in! Ive always wanted a cichlid tank so thats the basis of what im trying to accomplish. Im getting rid of the remaining fish I have in the tank and putting a few in the 10 gal I have thats already established. Pretty much a guppy tank. For those that dont know, I have a 60 gal. Marineland tank with 2 fluval aquaclear filters pumping 140gph. I have good aeration also. So now what do I do? Lol. Im kinda lost at this point since im starting over and a complete rookie at this.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

unu9ure6.jpg

For reference this is what my tank looks like now. Very bare bones since I took pretty much everything out and cleaned it. What in there is just for the remaining fish that will be leaving tomorrow.

You will want to add many more hiding places for the cichlids before you start getting them. Things like rock work caves or thick plants will do. Then when the waters right you can think about getting some cichlids.

Lol I was having a mental breakdown threnjen! I dont plan on putting fish in here until the scaping is completely finished. So rock work and plants definitely. What should my water parameters be? And what types of cichlids should I be looking at for this size tank. I dont want enormous fish but I dont want itty bitty fish either. And vibrant colors are a must with me.

Well my tank is officially empty aside from 2 plecos and a snail.

What type of sand would be best for them?

For a South American tank u could do 2x firemouths with a jd and a gold Severum with 2-3 pictus catfish

Yeah same here now that im doing a lot more research. It sounds like the best for the cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom