Let's talk about a 10g set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Herky213

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody,

I currently have a 10g aquarium set up in my dorm room. I am relatively new to keeping aquariums, but I'll try to provide as much info as possible.

In my tank I have:
-1 upside-down catfish (who eats leftovers, and makes a great scavenger at night)
-5 tiger barbs

The products I use are:
-Prime (double dose since I use the dorm water)
-Tetra EasyBalance
-Tetra SafeStart

I constantly fight high (safe) free ammonia (NH4), which is probably due to a stint where I had my roommate keep my fish and he really OVERFED them.
Also, I have never seen fish fight more than two of my larger barbs do. I feel like I should go get more larger barbs, because I heard the larger the school of barbs the less they fight, but if I get more fish, I am really risking the overcrowding situation.
More fish = higher ammonia = more stress = more fighting = more fish.

So... I ask the community of aquariumadvice.com, What should my next move be?

Well, none of those fish should be in a 10 gallon, sorry. Tiger barbs need a lot of swimming room and grow fairly large, too large for a 10 gallon. And an upside down catfish will grow to 4 inches, which is also too big for a 10 gallon. I would recommend getting rid of all of those fish and getting new fish. Some new fish would be:
Celestial pearl danios
Microrasboras such as boraras brigittae (chili rasbora)
Ember tetra
Least killifish

And some others.

Also, do you know how to cycle a tank/is the tank cycled?

Welcome to Aquarium Advice, if you need any help please feel free to PM me!

Well, none of those fish should be in a 10 gallon, sorry. Tiger barbs need a lot of swimming room and grow fairly large, too large for a 10 gallon. And an upside down catfish will grow to 4 inches, which is also too big for a 10 gallon. I would recommend getting rid of all of those fish and getting new fish. Some new fish would be:
Celestial pearl danios
Microrasboras such as boraras brigittae (chili rasbora)
Ember tetra
Least killifish

And some others.

Also, do you know how to cycle a tank/is the tank cycled?

Welcome to Aquarium Advice, if you need any help please feel free to PM me!

The guy at the pet store said barbs are fine in a 10g. I was just doing what he said.
The tank has been running for close to 4 months now. The nitrates/ites are both at 0, so I believe it is cycled.

Your two fighting barbs are most likely males. And since they are semi aggressive, it is not good to have that situation going on in such a small tank. How about upgrading to a 20 gallon?

The guy at the pet store is a MORON! If you read any profile for tiger barbs they will recommend a minimum of 30 gallons, tho most experienced hobbyist say more to have a large enough school to curb aggression.

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Green Tiger Barb

Rehome your fish and research approriate fish for your size tank while you cycle it.

Your two fighting barbs are most likely males. And since they are semi aggressive, it is not good to have that situation going on in such a small tank. How about upgrading to a 20 gallon?

You are correct they are the two males. I have 2 males and 3 females. I really can't afford to buy a new filter, heater, and tank. I would love to give the bigger, more aggressive one, away, but I can't bring myself to just dispose of him.

See if any of the pet stores in your area can take them. If you have a local fish club, check with them too. Removing one will not solve your problem long term. If a larger tank is not an option, rehome them ASAP. It's the best thing you can do for them.

The guy at the pet store said barbs are fine in a 10g. I was just doing what he said.
The tank has been running for close to 4 months now. The nitrates/ites are both at 0, so I believe it is cycled.

Your nitrates shouldn't be 0. If you're fighting ammonia, and have no nitrates, it means you're not cycled. What kind of filter for you have?

Hmm...

What are you testing with? Almost everyone on here uses the API Freshwater Master Test kit. You can get it on amazon for $20. But yeah, a cycled tank has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and x amount of nitrates. Also, don't trust almost all of your pet stores, they're almost all wrong.

Hmm...

What are you testing with? Almost everyone on here uses the API Freshwater Master Test kit. You can get it on amazon for $20. But yeah, a cycled tank has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and x amount of nitrates. Also, don't trust almost all of your pet stores, they're almost all wrong.

I, too, use API master test kit. I rank 8+ ammonia, 0 nitrites, and trace nitrate. The test stick I used to use showed no nitrates. And I have learned now from trusting pet stores =/

Your fish are in extreme danger with ammonia that high! You'll need to do water changes to bring the ammonia back down. Problem is changing too much at once will cause your fish to go into shock. Start slow, 25% daily for 3 days and recheck your ammonia.

Your fish are in extreme danger with ammonia that high! You'll need to do water changes to bring the ammonia back down. Problem is changing too much at once will cause your fish to go into shock. Start slow, 25% daily for 3 days and recheck your ammonia.

I have been doing daily water changes for a while now. Things do seem to slowly be getting better. Like the barbs seem less stressed than they used to be. My main problem now is the two fighting males. If I add like just one more male, will the situation get better, like they will form a school, or will it just get worse?

Adding another male is going to crate more competition. The only real solution is a tank large enough to house a proper school.

Woah! Okay, with ammonia that high I would do back to back 75% water changes, with an hour or two in between (so not really back to back, but kind of). That should bring it down to around .5-1 ppm, which should be a bit safer. Ideally it should be at or under .25ppm, but your fish are hardy enough to handle .5 ppm. Once you get it down to safe or safe-ish levels, do a 50% water change whenever it gets above .25 ppm.

By the way, I don't think doing a big water change will shock your fish, and if so it would be better anyway to lower the ammonia. I mean, you don't want to do a 95 % water change on water with drastically different parameters than the tank water, but in this case it wouldn't be too big of a deal.

Woah! Okay, with ammonia that high I would do back to back 75% water changes, with an hour or two in between (so not really back to back, but kind of). That should bring it down to around .5-1 ppm, which should be a bit safer. Ideally it should be at or under .25ppm, but your fish are hardy enough to handle .5 ppm. Once you get it down to safe or safe-ish levels, do a 50% water change whenever it gets above .25 ppm.

By the way, I don't think doing a big water change will shock your fish, and if so it would be better anyway to lower the ammonia. I mean, you don't want to do a 95 % water change on water with drastically different parameters than the tank water, but in this case it wouldn't be too big of a deal.

Yup I think I'm just going to keep the Daily water changes going. I've been doing them by cleaning the gravel since that's where most of the decaying matter is that is most likely contributing to my ammonia. Hopefully soon all will be well.

Yup I think I'm just going to keep the Daily water changes going. I've been doing them by cleaning the gravel since that's where most of the decaying matter is that is most likely contributing to my ammonia. Hopefully soon all will be well.

Wait, so you have been doing daily water changes but you still have ammonia over 8? How much water have you been changing per day? I think you should seriously, right now, do a 75% water change, or your fish will die in amonia over 8!

Herky, have you checked the ammonia in your tap yet? If there is ammonia in your tap water then doing water changes isn't going to help at all.

The other point that everyone seems to be missing here is the fact that Herky has 5 Tiger Barbs in a 10 gallon tank. The only way to solve the issue of them fighting is a larger tank.

Herky, have you checked the ammonia in your tap yet? If there is ammonia in your tap water then doing water changes isn't going to help at all.

The other point that everyone seems to be missing here is the fact that Herky has 5 Tiger Barbs in a 10 gallon tank. The only way to solve the issue of them fighting is a larger tank.

Exactly, or simply giving them away.

And the point about the tap water is right on. (y)

I just wanted to comment and say after many water changes and a whole bottle of tetra safestart, the ammonia levels are under control (less than .25), tank is completely cycled, and the barbs are happy as could be. I cleared a little swimming room for them and they created a little school. I think it's more about water quality than size of tank. I also quit feeding as much so they spend a lot of time searching for scraps and keeping the tank even cleaner. Next, I plan on introducing a few plants to also keep water quality good and add color to the tank. What a great hobby.

Back
Top Bottom