Levels lowering finally!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

SixFootDaisy

I just tested my aquarium after a 60% water change. And I have some good news that I am estatic about!!

My nitrates dropped from 40 to 20

nitrites dropped from above 10.0 to 5.0

My pH is still a little screwy though. And my total alkalinity rose from 0 to 80. Is that good or bad?

I just tested my aquarium after a 60% water change.

Dilution is the solution to pollution...I'd still watch the levels pretty closely. Looking at the numbers, you did rOuGhLy a 50% water change. Your levels all dropped (or were diluted) by 50%.

Good, I'm going to come to you for any math issues I have. Can you do Chemistry as well?

So I should wait until the nitrites to go to 0? Wow, how long do you think that will take?

Actually I'm more into physics than chemistry...

Anyway, as for the nitrItes, the last tank I cycled took over two months before the nitrItes went to zero. In fact, it was two months before there was any indication of nitrAtes. It happened over night when it did though. It all depends on fish load and water changes. If you are too anxious to change the water, there will be no nitrite for the bacteria to consume, therefore, the growth of the bacteria would be slowed. Looking back at the original post, you have nitrAte bacteria already, so your nitrItes should be hitting zero soon. Ideally, your nitrIte and ammonia should be zero once your're cycled. Now if there was only an easy way to get rid of nitrAte without doing a water change... :? :?:

I'm lucky I don't have to take Physics, I'd really be bald.

I did a test when I got home from class. my nitrites dropped again, and my nitrates stayed the same.

It did take a long time for this to happen, but last week... both ITES and ATES were way over 200.

I think after my tank settles, Im going to add another gourami. well, Im going to give my tank a week or two before I add a new baby. Hopefully my fish will start getting their color back. I'm so amazed the fish I have left are doing so well. They never appeared to be stressed, except for a couple losing color.

Fishkeeping is FUN!

Except when your levels are too high and you start freaking out.

Back
Top Bottom