Lighting a 20hex (and some questions about substrate)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coward69

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I've done a fair amount of research on what my options are for lighting this tank and advice seems to vary. I'm interested in setting up an Amazon blackwater biotope. Hoping to stock some corydoras, a small shoal of tetras, and maybe some kind of centerpiece fish or a shoal of something to contrast with the tetras.

Plants would be minimal, stuff like valisneria, echinodorus, etc that are native to the area. My question regarding the substrate is more about what I should do to provide rooting for these plants since the native substrate is kind of sandy maybe muddyish capped with a lot of leaf litter etc.

The dimensions are 19.1 In L x 16.6 in W x 24.4 in H (48.5 x 42.1 x 61.9 cm) and it's a 20gal (75l).

I could really use some recommendations or even anything that could point me in the right direction in terms of fixtures. Thanks for reading

24.4” or 61.9 cm
A 16” wide or smaller fixture should fit over this tank. The dept may present a challenge, light wise.

Back
Top Bottom