Lighting a 40B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would like advice on what light that is not expensive to purchase that will give me medium to high light for my 40B that measures 36x18x17. BTW subtrate will be no more than 3-4 inches.......Please all suggestive lights will be appreciated....

Lighting Question

Would like advice on what light that is not expensive to purchase that will give me medium to high light for my 40B that measures 36x18x17. BTW subtrate will be no more than 3-4 inches.......Please all suggestive lights will be appreciated....

Hello Geron...

Your local hardware store has good, inexpensive lighting. A couple of 36 inch, 40 watt, T12 GE florescent aquarium plant bulbs would give you 2 watts per gallon of tank volume. That's plenty to grow most of the aquatic plants available at the pet store.

B

I know you said you're looking for inexpensive lighting but I must say LEDs look fantastic. You can get a 36" system on amazon for under $100. I just upgraded from fluorescents to a marineland single bright system and it looks fantastic

Do you have a specific budget?

I know you said you're looking for inexpensive lighting but I must say LEDs look fantastic. You can get a 36" system on amazon for under $100. I just upgraded from fluorescents to a marineland single bright system and it looks fantastic

Those won't get him mid-to high light. That will get him very low light.

If you give me a budget I can help.

Firstly, I am so NOT a man, I am all 100% woman...it is pronounced just like Veronica but with a G...sound out the G and add the eronica......hahhahhah....no hard feelings...just a lil funny.....next time never assume you might hurt someone....lol...
Back on topic, I would like to stay under $100. Please give with options that will give medium to high light and just maybe somwthing with night time lights too...tyia

Firstly, I am so NOT a man, I am all 100% woman...it is pronounced just like Veronica but with a G...sound out the G and add the eronica......hahhahhah....no hard feelings...just a lil funny.....next time never assume you might hurt someone....lol...
Back on topic, I would like to stay under $100. Please give with options that will give medium to high light and just maybe somwthing with night time lights too...tyia

3 to 4 clip on work lights and 23 watt CFLs will get you high light.

Odyssea are sub par light fixtures at best. That's also a lot of light to start out with in a tank.

Try a Aquatic Life T5-HO Freshwater Linkable Light Fixture - 2 x 39 W - 36"

It should give you high light directly under the bulbs and a medium light level at the front and back tank edges. It is also linkable so you can add another fixture when / if you decide to down the road. Great reflectors, good bulbs, and a good track record of dependability; you can't really go wrong with these lights.

Yeah I have the same oddysea fixture and I can grow what ever I want pretty much. It's a lot of bang for your buck and puts you in the medium light range. The reflectors are decent and the light output is really bright. I can grow anything in my 55 with it so I think it is definatley looking into.

Back
Top Bottom