Lighting help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vinsgirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently setup my 3ft tank, with bogwood and artificial plants. I have a problem however deciding on the right light? Any suggestions? There is such a big choice, I dunno what to buy and would like to do it right the first time. The tank gets plenty of natural light, though not direct sunlight. Waiting on your responses.. Thanks

Sent from my Vodafone Smart Tab 3G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi, I'm not too sure on lighting, I got T5 lights with my tank but I have live plant's. If you don't have live then you could probably buy what you want? Hopefully someone will be able to chime in that can help. Sorry ?

70 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
7 gallon halfmoon betta and red ramshorn.

Lighting really depends on the plants kept. Low light plants need little more than compact fluorescent. If not doing high light needing plants your light choice is really just a compromise between good fish viewing and not growing algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Since you have just artificial plants, I'd go with low lighting. T8 is as high as you should go, perhaps just a single one. T5s would be too much light leading to algae issues. LEDs are another option, but key is to make sure it's not too bright, or you'll have to deal with algae.

Also if you pick fluorescent lights, make sure it's "standard output" and not "high output" (usually for planted aquariums). LEDs usually say whether they are for planted aquariums or not.

Thanx guys will go check things out the weekend. As the table lamp I'm using so I can see the fish is not doing it for me?

Sent from my Vodafone Smart Tab 3G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Check out this from Current USA.

I have purchased a used one, a new one and a refurbished- "A" condition light this one is just white LED and Blue night lights.

Sale Current USA Refurbished 4002 A 36" 48" Freshwater LED Fixture | eBay

You can keep your eyes open for a refurbished Planted Plus one if you want to wait - The nicer version is RGB LED as well and called Planted PLUS. There is an even fancier one too - not needed but pretty cool.

The white and blue light ones are fine for many plants - the remote is fun and you can adjust everything.

If you have a 36" tank get the 36"-48" because the light bar covers the 36" and arms can go wider to fit up to 48". Better light coverage and it is adjustable with the remote.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom