Lighting?! Im overwhelmed...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joyler

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my tank is 36"x15"x20"...It will be a community tank with live plants...and I want to get a T5 HO unit! I'm not really sure what to get to make sure it is the best situation for both the plants and the fish...

t5ho will be a high light...so you could pretty much grow any plants, but that means CO2. I don't know any good brands, the experts will chime in here, I am pretty sure soon.

Fish don't care. Plants do. Do you want low light, low tech, or high light, high tech? I've done low light and didn't enjoy it much. The plants grew slowly and I was very limited. Now that I have a nice fixture and pressurized co2, it is already very rewarding.

That depends...do you want to explain high-tech for me? Lol

It's not really all that high tech. It took me a little research and several conversations with fort384 to get it all figured out, but now I think I understand it pretty well.

Basically, it just involves pressurized co2 and a good T5HO (or other) fixture. It's not all that expensive really, and MUCH MUCH easier than DIY co2. It's also cheaper in the long run. This gives you tons of possibilities as far as plants go.

Ok! Ya I want CO2...for T5 what brand do you use? And how do you like it?

You can read through my 40 breeder journal for some, what i consider to be, excellent info from some people who helped me set mine up. I have a 2x39w T5HO from fishneedit.com. They're probably the cheapest fixtures you can find, and I have yet to read a bad review on them. Mine's been on the tank for almost 2 weeks and I have nothing bad to say about it. I even ordered 2 more for another tank I'm setting up (the 125g).

Will plants do well in small pea gravel? Or should I have gotten sand?

Pea gravel will work... not ideal, but doable. If you're going to go all out and do everything the right way, sand or some kind of plant substrate would probably be a good idea.

Crap...I already have 50 pounds of gravel in there...I guess I'll just have to layer it, or something...

I think it would be fine... Only problem I see would be having to do a gravel vac. Gravel lets gunk get down in it. Sand keeps it on top. Don't have to worry about uprooting plants with sand because you don't have to dig down in it to get it clean.

Oh crap...didn't even think about that part, but I do have a vac...lol! This will be quite the experience I gather...

If I mixed in a 25 pound bag of laterite, would that make the pea gravel better?

Back
Top Bottom