Lighting problem, Green Water, 125gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PolyptRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a large tank 125 gallons it didn't come with a light so I went and bought a small light it's not the light I need I know that, it's only an 8 watt. But my question is could this be why my tanks water get cloudy and green very quickly I've got two large filters on it so that's not the problem. I was told its because I need a proper light in my tank and it should stay clear?

Let's talk a little bit about your tank:

How long has it been set up?

What are its inhabitants?

What are your water parameters?
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
pH
temp

Is the tank near any windows?

What kind of filters are you using?

Are you putting any chemicals into the tank?

What is your maintenance schedule?

What are your goals? Are you wanting to grow live plants, or just need a light to see the fish?

It's been running for about a year now. Tank inhabitants are 1 green terror, 1 red devil, 1 jack Dempsey, 1 parrot cichlid, 1 jewel cichlid, 1 hap compressiceps, 1 yellow belly Albert, 2 hap venustus, 3 labs, 2 Mbuna, 1 peacock, 2 ruby sharks, 2 Plecos, 2 polypterus, 2 angel fish. One of the filters is a aqua clear 70 and the other is aqua clear 125. I have a bubble wand in the tank. All I put in my tank is water treatment and aquarium salt. And ich cure once in a while and even less often a bit of Melafix. Temperature is always around 80 but never above it and never below 75. I haven't tested my water for a while. Also the water in my tank evaporates fast and the level will drop a great deal. I do a half water change every week or two. I clean the filters every week, And a 75% water change every month only because my water gets green and cloudy but I never see any algae anywhere? I don't plan on having plants I just wanted my water to clear up so my tank can look nice all the time and not be such a pain to clean.

Oh yes and the tank is not near any windows, I have it set up in a basement I wondered maybe if its the air quality in the basement but I'm not sure.

Sounds to me like an excess nutrient issue. How are you cleaning the filters? It is easy to destroy your biological filter that processes ammonia and nitrite if you clean to thoroughly. With the amount of fish you have your biological filter is important.

Need to know levels on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. That will help narrow in on a cause.

Back
Top Bottom