Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok here's a before from a few weeks ago and a today with the new light.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423549709.777859.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423549733.778351.jpg

Noticeable difference❗

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Try the purple setting!!! Than turn the reds and greens all the way up!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Huge problem this morning Brookster123. As I am doing the programming on my light I noticed my water flow seemed low. I noticed yesterday that the water surface wasn't moving as fast but assumed it was due to putting some pantyhose on the intake to save any fry,and fish, being as I found my pleco's tail stuck in it and I lost him.
I primed the Fluval 405 and restarted it. After a few minutes I lost my prime.
I then heard a "Ding Ding" in my head and removed the panty hose and tried it again. WaLah!
Problem is algae shot out of the exhaust tube like crazy. I am assuming it must have been running the pump without cycling for the last couple days as I put the panty hose on Sat.
I feel like such a idiot now but I have to go to work.
I plan on doing a PWC in the morning when I get up and I will try and research to clean up the ( hair ) algae I believe.
Signed,
Bummed out!

Oh yea, I did check my water parameters too.

PH 7.4
Ammonia .25
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

The tank seems to be cleaning up with the filter running strong.

Light came! Wow this thing is amazing!

So many options!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1423592639872.jpg
    1423592639872.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 39
Very nice I know. Lots to learn about it.

Do either of you two know if leaving the moon light on will harm the fish? I mean will they still sleep etc?

I wouldn't think that would be an issue. I haven't really had time to read all about the spectrums of the blue light to see if it would create an issue with algae being on all night or an issue with the fish. That would be my concerns as well.

Yeah, I think I will have to read up on it too. I assume it wouldn't be problem or they wouldn't sell lights with them built in. You would think...?

Yeah, I think I will have to read up on it too. I assume it wouldn't be problem or they wouldn't sell lights with them built in. You would think...?

No, that's not an assumption I would make. They sell moonlights because
They look cool, not because they're necessarily a good thing.

It might be fine, but i'm also wondering if it will cause algae if you leave it on all night.

That was a concern I had as well. Being a newbie and not understanding the specifics of lighting and spectrum and pars I wondered what effect having the moonlight on would have.
Working a lot now and haven't had time to read up yet but was curious if your plants gain from just the blues like that. If so then you would need to reduce the amount of time we run our bright whites for the plants to allow for the time with the blues without having bad effects such as algae or burning up.
It's a bummer being so new but all is still so very exciting.

Back
Top Bottom