Lighting Set up Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Verity

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, Ive got a new(to me) lid for my 23 gallon coldwater tank.

img_1185703_0_343904c832ac33ea0ba1fae9be8eb09a.jpg

But I need to get a light for it.
My problem is the Light originally it came with is missing, and the lid is completely different from my other two tanks so im not quite sure what to do.

Here are some photos of the inside (sorry about the dirtiness)

img_1185703_1_28a5d07897e45b0c1af24a174a6808f4.jpg

img_1185703_2_675d86675320148f4dbda98c3ae69661.jpg

As you can see there is a thin metal strip. Its 55cm/21inches
And there are 2 plastic grips that are 42cm appart.

One of the plastic grip things is broken. So obviously these will need replacing. Am I better off getting metal ones, or are there orginally plastic ones there for a reason?

What sized light should I be looking at getting? should it be the same size at the metal strip? smaller? bigger so the plastic edges poke over either side of the metal? Or do I go by how big the tank is.

Is there anything important that I need to take into account when buying the lighting? (I've never had to worry with my other tanks so ive never thought about it)

Those clips are there to hold the lighting tube in place, so you'd need to either replace them, or, probably more easily, replace the entire reflector. How is it attached to the hood?

Goodo then, I guess rip it out and replace it!
You don't actually need to get a new reflector if you don't want one, most lighting starter units come with clips to hold a tube in place.

You've got the ideal excuse to reconfigure your lights to suit your needs! If you want live plants, now is the perfect time to upgrade your lighting. Look at fluorescent retrofit kits or LEDs if you're the DIY type.

Back
Top Bottom