Lights in none planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
How long should the light be on, I also have a bit of brown algea growing on my rocks and glass. Any suggestion on what to do?

How long are they on now? What kind of lighting, tank size?

I'd suggest cutting it to 6hrs a day to start. Fish get some vit. D from lights, but as long as there's ambient light in the room they should be ok IMO. Lights are more for our viewing pleasure than the fish.

Mr. Limpet said:
How long are they on now? What kind of lighting, tank size?

I'd suggest cutting it to 6hrs a day to start. Fish get some vit. D from lights, but as long as there's ambient light in the room they should be ok IMO. Lights are more for our viewing pleasure than the fish.

What is the algea from though to much light or not enough? Tank is 29g, I don't knownwhat type of light an I believe it was on for 5 hours I cut it back because I was told the algea was from to much light. I have two sae which are suppose to like brown algea

Mr. Limpet said:
To much light, too many nutrients, etc. It's kinda like bacteria IMO, it's everywhere and fed properly, it propagates. Do you have sand for a substrate? Silica can cause BA.

Here's a link to check out.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

I have fine gravel, and I also reduced feeding when it starting appearing. will it just go away on its own or is it best to by something to clean it off with?

BA is tough to get rid of and about all you can do is clean it off and let it burn itself out. I'm 2+ months on my BA and it's slowing down, but still kicking :(. I hate it, but not much to do but wait it out.

Sounds like a hassle I just dont like te way itnlooks on the glass
L
L

Sounds like a hassle I just dont like te way itnlooks on the glass
L
L

Some have had good luck with ottos cleaning it off, I went and got some and they're as lazy as apple snails in doing their job, but maybe you'll have better luck than me. Nerite snails are said to go after it, but again not for me.

Mr. Limpet said:
Some have had good luck with ottos cleaning it off, I went and got some and they're as lazy as apple snails in doing their job, but maybe you'll have better luck than me. Nerite snails are said to go after it, but again not for me.

I think it has to do with how you feed them, they are moreso gonna eat the algea when hungry but I couldn't tell ya if it works like that.

I have a guppie with a curved spine that I cycled my little seven gallon with. I have a big fish at home that likes to eat them and a 30 gallon tank with a lot of them I breed out. I put it in there because I don’t want it to reproduce and instead of just feeding it I thought it would be good to cycle with. I had BB Algae within a week or so and it started eating it. That thing has eaten almost all of it away and just keeps going. So I have decided she will live on in the tank. I’ve seen Platys and Swords eat it too, but not like this gal.

Back
Top Bottom