List me EVERYTHING!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishGirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got a huge check last week! Planning on spoiling my babies and going out this weekend and getting EVERYTHING i should need for them!
I want everyone's opinion!
Tank's been set up with fish for four months now.
I have.....
Mollies
Tetras (black skirts, red eyes, xrays)
A platy
Angelfish
2 plecos
And guppies

I have....
Flake food (obviously)
Test strips (for nitrite/nitrates)
Water Conditioner
API Stress Coat+
Melafix (treats: gill disease, popeye, etc)
Aquarium Salt (in case of ich breakout)
Epsom salts (for popeye treatment)
API quick start
A breeding "cage" for fry
And algae pellets for my plecos
A disease guide packet

Tank has many decorations, no live plants (don't want any), has gravel, heater, filter, etc.

Anything else I need/should have? EVERYONE'S suggestions wanted!

I want to get a bubbler, and am already planning on it.

A good test kit containing liquid tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Strips are garbage. API Freshwater Master Kit is decent and fairly priced.

If this is your 55g... Depending on your filter and the state of the flow in the tank, maybe consider a Koralia Nano (240) for a bit of added gentle flow.

A larger variety of foods... Flakes are ok but get boring. Try some frozen. Pellets are also easier to control. Maybe some fresh veggies also.

I agree with blert about the API Master Kit. I used strips before I knew any better but they were pretty much crap compared to the test tubes.
I feed my fish bloodworms every once in awhile. They LOVE them! Also a little blanched spinach is good to feed. They love their veggies!

Hmmm.... Remind me. What's prime again?

Water conditioner. Prime is more concentrated than the other brands so you can dose less of it for the same amount of water. You save money in the long run using prime vs another a brand.

Like people have said:
- Maybe Prime
- Bubbler
- Fancier food
What is your stock? You could add more fish

Is your tank planted? If it is or isn't I'd buy a bunch of plants, new lights, and maybe a CO2 system and new substrate.

I don't want plants because they are a lot of work on top of the work required for the fish themselves :/

And I'm adding new fish soon!!

I don't want plants because they are a lot of work on top of the work required for the fish themselves :/

A common misconception! A lot of low light plants take basically zero work and look stunning. But nothing wrong with non-planted! Just wanted to offer a fun suggestion.

Problem is, then I have to be wary of the fish I have/buy, have to worry about lighting, trimming them, etc

AngelFishGirl said:
Problem is, then I have to be wary of the fish I have/buy, have to worry about lighting, trimming them, etc

A lot of the low light plants won't get eaten. They are slow growers that usually don't require a trimming. That is the beauty, low light and low maintenance.

get some anubia's (low light plant) no trimming required and fish don't usually mess with them inless u have cichlids. I just started dosing API plant food to see if my amazon swords would grow better but never really needed it

Back
Top Bottom