Listened to a high street chain petstore and its all gone wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mollylily

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All

What an idiot I have been.

Bought a fluval edge 46 from PAH chain store and was instructed to follow the instruction in the tank. ie adding Nutrafin Aqua Plus Water Conditioner and
Nutrafin Cycle Biological Aquarium Supplement. One Week later I took a sample of the water to said chain store and was informed that I can put fish in it and not to change the water for at least 2 weeks.

Needless to say week 2 red eye tetra developed white spots which I am treating with WS3 white spot treatment which worked on day of treatment but then at the end of the 48 interval between treatments the spots came back. I'm now on interval 4 of treatment and today I went to a local fish store and bought some king british testing strips.

Its not looking good all my fish have ICH (2 Platties and 3 red eye tetras)

water reading is as follows:-

ammonia - almost 0
PH - Between 6.4 and 6.8
KH - 180
GH - 0
Nitrate - approx 40 mg/l
Nitrite - between 1 & 5 mg/l - I would say nearer to 5 on the colour scale

as Nitrite is high I did a 15% water change and treated for chlorine before pouring back into the tank

- persuaded local shop to give me some of their filter stones which I have put into the filter

- added 2 plants

- increased oxygen by leaving a 2inch gap for water to from filter to dispense into tank creating bubbles

What else can I do? I will test daily. Should I

do 10 - 20% daily water change
continue to treat for white spot
is it worth me squeezing the water & yuck from my neighbour's filter sponge onto my filter sponge? (She isn't keen on giving me a bit of her existing sponge)

Please any advice will be welcomed as I feel very very bad that my fish is suffering :(:eek::confused:

15% Is really Nothing. You need to do at least 45% Water change. Give me more details once you do that:) Dont take media from lfs, they might have diseases!

Get some. Aquarium salt

P.s. don't listen to anything they tell you at the store because sometimes they are as clueless as the newbiest fish newb

Ok

I've just changed 20 litres and my current reading is:

Ph 6.8
kh 75 m/l
GH 125 m/l
Nitrate 25 m/l
Nitrite 1.0 m/l

Will do another test tomorrow morning

Salt will kill ich also your readings are a bit high try changing a little bit more water before you go to sleep

1 tablespoon to every 5 gallons and your snails and all your fish will be fine

Welcome to AA!

The nitrite is still in the very high zone. It needs to be as close to zero as possible. I would suggest 2x 50% water changes ASAP.
Follow this guide to keep your fish safe.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

To treat ich:
Increase temp slowly to 86-88F.
Increase aeration.
Increase gravel vac and water changes (you should be doing this with a cycling tank already).
Leave temp up for at least 1 week after last spot is seen.
Return temp slowly to normal.
You don't need salt or meds to treat ich.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

If you don't have an adjustable heater than you'll need salt but its good to have regardless

As advised I have done another 50% water change this morning at 6.30am. My readings now at 9.20am is

PH 6.4
KH 60 mg/l
GH 125 mg/l
Nitrate 20 mg/l
Nitrite 0.5mg/l

Another water change? I'm week 3 in cycling

Back
Top Bottom