Live plants or plastic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pitbull

Aquarium Advice Regular
Heyy, i was wondering if when I get my tropical fish tank should I get live plants or plastic which would be better?
Thanks very much :)

It's really just a matter of choice. I much prefer the look of live plants over plastic plants, but live plants require a little care and research and, usually a better light than what most tanks come with.

I think it depends on your fish. Plastic plants can be pokey and harm some fish (they tore the fins of someone I know's betta).

Nothing compares to a planted tank IMO. That said, it does require a bit more work. Low maintenance, low light isn't much more, but if you venture in to a high tech, high light tank, you're going to invest some time. Ultimately, its up to you, and how much you're willing to invest if needed.

I've always done plastic plants in the past, so this time I'm giving live plants a try! They're more work, but there's all sorts of benefits to having them in your tank. :) One thing to keep in mind, though - I've found there's almost as much to consider in plant choice as there is in fish choice. It's just as easy to pick a commercially available plant that is completely unsuited for your tank, and the fish store will let you buy them without a second thought.

If you go the live plant route, make sure you do the research first! (I'm still working on that part...) If you want plastic, and worry about harming long-finned fish, there's always silk plants.

pitbull said:
Heyy, i was wondering if when I get my tropical fish tank should I get live plants or plastic which would be better?
Thanks very much :)

Depends on what fish you have and how much you want to invest in them (time/money). I have goldfish in a planted tank and I'm forever rescaping it because they treat them like food and toys to play with or shread lol. But IMO the benefits far out weight the negatives and if you stay on the low end it's easier than going high end & high dollar.

You could always start with fake plants and slowly add in live ones. This way you'll only have to maintain 1 at a time. If you chose to have only live plants, and they all die for some reason, your tank isn't going to look as nice; which could cause serious frustration, and may push you away from the hobby. If I had FW again, that's exactly what I'd do.

Back
Top Bottom