live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Has anyone used this before?
can they be used in freshwater or brakish water tanks?
and why is it so expensive? lol

Live rock is basically chunks of rocks/coral that contains LOTS of beneficial invertebrate hitch-hikers. Same for live sand.

It's exclusively for salt water tanks.

It's probably expensive because it has to be shipped wet under controlled conditions.
I'm not aware of any live rock/sand for FW or brackish aquariums.
The closest thing I can think of is gravel from a tank infested with trumpet snails. :D

QTOFFER said:
The closest thing I can think of is gravel from a tank infested with trumpet snails. :D
:lol:

ace1uno, where've you been? Lost under all those tanks! If you were to use SW live rock for freshwater, I think it would foul up the water (because of the dying life in the rock) and wreak havoc with your parameters.

I use calciferous rock (petrified coral rock, aka "base rock") for my African tanks because it buffers the water. This is the rock that a SW dealer might use to grow live rock, and it is true - it is expensive because the rock is crawling with all kinds of critters and it has to be kept alive during shipping, just like fish.

You can use base rock in any tank where you want to buffer the water or raise the pH, and often a brackish setup will benefit from that, but it still would not support live rock or live sand. I got some base rock from a SW LFS near me for $1.00 per pound, which I was pretty happy with.

TankGirl said:
I use calciferous rock (petrified coral rock, aka "base rock") for my African tanks because it buffers the water. This is the rock that a SW dealer might use to grow live rock, and it is true - it is expensive because the rock is crawling with all kinds of critters and it has to be kept alive during shipping, just like fish.

You can use base rock in any tank where you want to buffer the water or raise the pH, and often a brackish setup will benefit from that, but it still would not support live rock or live sand. I got some base rock from a SW LFS near me for $1.00 per pound, which I was pretty happy with.

Ill keep the base rock in mind TankGirl! Great idea!

fishyrican said:
QTOFFER said:
:lol:

ace1uno, where've you been? Lost under all those tanks! If you were to use SW live rock for freshwater, I think it would foul up the water (because of the dying life in the rock) and wreak havoc with your parameters.

I recently got a new job. my hours are crazy. and yes all these tanks are making me crazy. (in a good way)

Back
Top Bottom