Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Live sand and freshwater (changing from saltwater)

I currently have a saltwater tank set up and I am switching to freshwater. I currently have live argonite sand in the tank. If I clean this well (removing the salt) can I use it in a freshwater tank? It cost a LOT and is very pretty. If I can use it, would it be okay for all types of freshwater fish? Thanks

Old 08-16-2006, 08:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Argonite will raise you kh and ph. It really only works with African cichlids. With most other Fw fish it is not a good choice as a substrate.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just thinking out loud because I'm new to the SW end.

But I'm thinking the argonite substrate will drive the PH up....perhaps uncomfortably so for most FW fish.

I'm not saying most FW fish can not tolerate it,but acclimation of new fish will be a bear imo.

My advice...buy pool filter sand.Its cheap and looks pretty good too.(gota wash it too)

90g SW FOWLR
50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:56 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

It depends on what your pH is to start with. If it is already 8.0, then the sand won't change it much (equilibrium pH for carbonates is around 8.2).

It is possible to acclimatize most FW fish to higher pH, as long as it is stable. But if you don't have to, why bother.

Tags
changing, freshwater, live, live sand, salt, saltwater, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com