Log for 10g fish-in cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheJT

Aquarium Advice Activist
Unfortunately, I didn't think of doing till day 6. We'll start off with things I have learned so far as this is my first tank.
#1. Do a fishless cycle. My fish are now suffering because I didn't find this forum 1st. I have lost one to getting too close to the filter intake and I think I'm gonna lose another to ammonia poisoning. Daily multiple water changes to try to save her.
#2. Get the master liquid test kit. It's cheaper in the long run as the box says it will do 800 tests for the API brand. It is also 1000x more accurate and easier to read.
#3. Get a gravelvac. It is a necessity for your cleaning habits. Plus it helps with the PWCs.
#4. Test daily and after every water change. If you need to do another PWC test again. Let the results dictate what you do with your water.
#5. Chemicals + fish = no bueno. This goes for all chemicals that are not absolutely nessecary. Seachem Prime allows you to dechlorinate your water, detoxify ammonia, and detoxify NitrItes. Buy it. Use it. Love it.
#6. Shrimp are AWESOME!!! nuff said.

On to today's results:
Ammo: 1.0
NitrIte (NO2): 0 (beginning to hate the color blue)
NitrAte (NO3): 5.0 (it's in my tap like that)

2 PWCs (60%) later and ammo is down to .25
May do 1 more PWC just to be sure. Will let a test dictate.

1 velvet wag swordtail
1 Mickey mouse platy
1 emerald Cory cat
2 cherry barbs
3 mollies (getting a separate tank for these)
4 ghost shrimp

Sounds like you are on the right track. Fish-in cycling can be done effectively and fairly easily if you minimize the amount of waste being produced. It's much harder with a heavy bioload, but it sounds like you are doing well.

I don't think daily multiple water changes are going to be necessary, for example, if you are in the 7's ph and your ammonia is read at 1.0, a 50% wc will drop you down to .50 which is well within the safe range, and dosing with prime detoxifies any free ammonia anyhow, so you are good for at least 24hrs+.

Unfortunately, often times when a fish starts showing signs of ammonia poisoning, even if the issue is rectified, there will still be some losses in the following days.

I wouldn't bother testing the water after your water change, unless you aren't sure what it was beforehand. If you know what was in the water before the PWC then it's pretty easy to calculate what it is going to be.

Look forward to reading your log.

Welcome to the boards from a fellow new member.

I like the brownish rock/cave you have there I also got the same one for my 10 gallon and placed it about the same area as well. First day I bought it one of my neon Tetras really enjoyed sleeping inside it. I also used a tall plant to arch over the entrance so it looks a little better.

On topic - I also have been doing a fish-in cycle since I'm on the same boat as you. I have a question since I bought the SeaChem Starter pack with Prime, Stability, Clarity. I've used the stability according to the instruction but haven't used it after the first week. Anyone have any tips on it?

FishDroid26 said:
On topic - I also have been doing a fish-in cycle since I'm on the same boat as you. I have a question since I bought the SeaChem Starter pack with Prime, Stability, Clarity. I've used the stability according to the instruction but haven't used it after the first week. Anyone have any tips on it?

Yep, stop using it, lol. It's pretty much a waste of money, and there's a potential it can develop an unstable bio-filter. The Prime is great stuff...the Stability can be donated to your garbage man :)

I also invite you guys to check out jeta's guide in his signature. There's some charts that list the criteria for what the safe threshold of ammonia is. I just don't want the info that .5 is an acceptable range floating around unless you understand the science behind it and/or are using a quality water conditioner.

Consider the Stability gone. As for Clarity, I used it once and realized I didn't need it, at least not with my filter. So I took a look at that Ammonia info under Jetas signature, big help. I've been with this 10 gallon since June 1st and still no sign of Nitritres/trates. I've told myself not to touch the filter until I see some signs.

Another question. How long should I wait from putting tap water into a bucket and adding prime to adding it into the aquarium? Lately I've been adding it within the hour, is that any good or does it take some time for Prime to take effect on the tap water? Could that be an issue with beneficial bacteria?

FishDroid26 said:
Consider the Stability gone. As for Clarity, I used it once and realized I didn't need it, at least not with my filter. So I took a look at that Ammonia info under Jetas signature, big help. I've been with this 10 gallon since June 1st and still no sign of Nitritres/trates. I've told myself not to touch the filter until I see some signs.

Another question. How long should I wait from putting tap water into a bucket and adding prime to adding it into the aquarium? Lately I've been adding it within the hour, is that any good or does it take some time for Prime to take effect on the tap water? Could that be an issue with beneficial bacteria?

Leaving water sitting out overnight is an old-school method that really doesn't apply anymore. Most of the municipalities have switched from chlorine to chloramines which must be removed via a dechlorinator/water conditioner. I use a water changer, so I actually add Prime directly to my tank, then add temperature matched, raw tap water directly into the tank. No reason for it to sit out :)

As long as you remember the dechlorinator and temp match the water, there's no such thing as too many pwc's, it won't effect your cycle and ensures your fish stay healthy.

Good move with the filters. Even once the tank is cycled, you never change them until they are falling apart. Just take a bucket of tank water (not tap water) and swish them around to remove loose debris, then stick them back in where they were.

Another thing. Is it best to use old tank water to fill the filter housing before restarting or is it fine to use freshly add water from the tank?

Another thing. Is it best to use old tank water to fill the filter housing before restarting or is it fine to use freshly add water from the tank?

This. Usually as soon as I've added dechlorinated water to fill the tank, I scoop up the tanks water and pour it into my filter. Would that be a good idea?

TheJT said:

Like to prime the HOB (hang on back) filter? As long as the water is the same temp and you've used a conditioner it shouldn't matter. My understanding is that Prime works fairly instantly and shouldn't be a problem. I'd still use a cup and scoop water out of the tank to do it instead of directly out of the new water bucket...just on the off chance you forgot to use water conditioner or something.

Yeah I've been adding the prime directly to the tank and taking a cup from there to prime the HOB. :)

Bio-load just decreased. Sick Molly died. Plus I had shrimp die. No more fish till the cycle is complete.

Update: modified my hood to accept a second power filter. Added the power filter last night to double the filtration. Will test when I get home from work.

Sorry for your fish lost. Since I started up my 10 gallon I've only lost 1 yellow guppy named mellow, since the day we got mellow it seemed kinda down so I'm certain it was already sick from petsmart. Other than that thankfully I haven't lost any more fish.

Ok day 7:
Not much to report.

Ammo .50
NO2: 0

2 water changes back to back today. Water is sooo much clearer.
I read somewhere on here that you should double up on filtration. So I did.

Ok day 7:
Not much to report.

Ammo .50
NO2: 0

2 water changes back to back today. Water is sooo much clearer.
I read somewhere on here that you should double up on filtration. So I did.

You're doing great! (y) You might want to do another 50%+ pwc to get the ammonia down a bit more.

Sorry about your fish :(

Back
Top Bottom