Log for cycling my new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jetajockey said:
Because it has the potential to give you false readings for one. The type of bacteria they use in powdered supplements especially is not the same kind that is naturally responsible for the nitrification process in an aquarium. It does the job, but very poorly by comparison, and does not sustain itself. With that in mind, it can possibly give you the idea that all is well in the tank, when it really isn't, and when it dies off you may have a toxin spike because of it.

There's also conjecture that it competes with the proper nitrifiers for a food source.

Perfectly summed up.

LOG: Day 2 ... continued

Okay I'm home from work, it's a little early but I'm going to test the water again. The water is looking just a little cloudy, could just be in my mind but it doesn't seem as clear. The tank temp is now at 82F, it doesn't seem to want to go higher than that, I might have a tiny bit more room to turn up the heater but I think I'll leave it where it is for now. Time to go test the water...

Okay the ammon level is still sitting at around 8ppm. Should I do yet another water change or leave it be? Also I was curious so I tested the pH and had to use the High Range test. The tank shows about 7.8-8.0. I thought that was very high so I tested the water directly out of my tap and it tested exactly the same. Do I need to do something about this? That seems bad.

zparticle said:
LOG: Day 2 ... continued

Okay I'm home from work, it's a little early but I'm going to test the water again. The water is looking just a little cloudy, could just be in my mind but it doesn't seem as clear. The tank temp is now at 82F, it doesn't seem to want to go higher than that, I might have a tiny bit more room to turn up the heater but I think I'll leave it where it is for now. Time to go test the water...

Okay the ammon level is still sitting at around 8ppm. Should I do yet another water change or leave it be? Also I was curious so I tested the pH and had to use the High Range test. The tank shows about 7.8-8.0. I thought that was very high so I tested the water directly out of my tap and it tested exactly the same. Do I need to do something about this? That seems bad.

The pH is no concern at all. You'll need to do a 50-60% pwc to get the ammo into the 3-4ppm range...otherwise it can drastically slow the process.

Thanks for the info on the bacteria guys, and girls. Anyone want to chime in the pH issue?

... ha eco23 beat me to the post. :)

Going to do another PWC now. Thanks again for all of the advise.

Last edited:
LOG: Day 2 ... continued ... continued

Okay massive PWC done, made a mess. However ... the ammo level is now testing at around 3ppm, much better. :cool: Took the opportunity to clean off some grim on the sides of the tank, I think from water evaporating, anyway it looks better. :brows:

I wish they had kits that actually gave you numbers instead of colors. I'm color blind and that makes comparing similar color shades very difficult for me. :banghead: Oh well.

I think I may try to find a few more fish stores this weekend and do some more planning on what I want in this tank when it is finally ready.

LOG: Day 3 (seems like day 500)

Water temp is sitting at 81F. Just tested the ammon level and it is right at 4ppm as expected.

I found my old 5 gallon tank and I'm considering what to do with it. Also I'm hoping this $1/gallon sale is on at Petco tomorrow. If it is I'm going to try to pick up at least one extra tank. I know I'm not going to use it right away but think I might as well get one while the getting is good.

That aqueon water changer is worth it IMO. It works like a champ

LOG: Day 4

Water temp is sitting at 82F. Water is just a little cloudy. Tested the ammon level and it is at 4ppm as expected.

Bought a new 55 gallon tank at Petco today, it is much thinner than I expected. Also spent some time cleaning the old 5 gallon tank. Made several trips to Lowes today, I've been building a new tank cabinet.

You can see the pictures as it progresses here.

Back to the cabinet building, it keeps my mind off of the tank. :popcorn:

LOG: Day 5

Water temp is sitting at 82F. Water is just a little more cloudy. Tested the ammon level and it looks like 4ppm, but it also looks like a lighter shade of green. Probably wishful thinking.

LOG: Day 7

Hey, my activated sponge filter from Angles Plus showed up today! Just installed it, hopefully it will help things along. Tested the water first, temp 80F ammon 4ppm.

Thanks. :) Boy the water was getting cloudy before but now with that sponge in there it is downright murky. And I spilled a bunch of the sponge water all over my pants getting the thing out of the bag. :whistle:

From my experience, I wouldn't add ammonia above 3 ppm. I have a sponge too, cycled on 35 days.

Good to hear another opinion, thanks for the input.

I'm assuming the sponge works by creating a siphon effect with the air moving upward. Is that how you guys understand it to work? Because the air doesn't go through the sponge which I thought was odd.

zparticle said:
Good to hear another opinion, thanks for the input.

I'm assuming the sponge works by creating a siphon effect with the air moving upward. Is that how you guys understand it to work? Because the air doesn't go through the sponge which I thought was odd.

that's correct

Back
Top Bottom