Log for cycling my new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zparticle

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all. I'm new here, I just setup my first 20 gallon tank. I've got all of the decorations in place and now I need to cycle my tank. I'm going fishless and following this helpful guide on how to do this Flake pointed me to.

I was going to just keep a little notebook but decided it would be easier to just post my experience in a thread. Plus maybe someone else will learn from any mistakes I make.

Day 1

Decided to add a bubble bar to the tank before I start the cycling process. So I bought one and a pump for it. Unfortunately when I got home and plugged in the pump it was VERY loud. Broken loud. So I took it back to the store and bought a Petco air pump. Got it home and it is very quiet. :) Also picked up a thermometer to put inside the tank. The little stick strip one that came with the tank is useless.

Step 6a (fully set up your aquarium) of the guide is complete.

Step 6b
(add your dechlorinator) was part of step 6a, so that is also done.

Step 6c
(crank your heater up), done. My tank water it sitting at 76 degrees, cranking it up to get it to 85.

Step 6d
(crank the bubble wand up), done. It isn't bubbling quite as smooth as I would like but I think it just needs to get broken in a bit.

Step 6e (add ammonia). I went to Ace Harware and bought a 32 oz. bottle of Ace Ammonia Janitorial Strength Formula. They didn't have smaller bottles. I wasn't sure how much to start with to get to the needed 4ppm so I started by adding in 20 ml, measured out in a Nyquil cap. Now waiting for it to get mixed in well, in the mean time I'll be reading the instructions for my API Master Test Kit. Be right back...

Yikes! Okay that was clearly WAY too much ammonia, have to do a partial water change to get the level down. Then I'll test again. I change out about 1/3 of the water with new water. Took the opportunity to use warm water from the sink to up the temperature. Added some water conditioner to kill the chlorine in the new water...

Good gravy. I'm still way over were I need to be time to change out more water....Okay this time I changed out about 2/3 of the water. I'm still quite a bit over my target of 4ppm, however I'm close enough to feel okay moving forward.

Step 6f (seeding material). I don't have anyone I can get existing tank bacteria from so I bought some called Mardel Freshwater Biozyme. I'll add some and then test the water again tomorrow.

Sounds like you're starting out great, and thanks for using the guide and doing a fishless cycle :).

FYI, the link in my signature is to the actual thread where there is an updated and revised version of the guide (I don't think they've changed the actual article yet).

We look forward to watching your progress!

Good luck! I have a 20 gal too and I'm using the ACE ammonia. It's powerful stuff, you don't need much. About 9 drops got mine up to about 3 PPM ammonia. It's better to add a few drops at a time and then test after a half hour, then if you need to add more, do another few drops and test, etc. It's better to add than have to take out (as you've already learned lol).

Yep, I can already tell the water changing is going to be the part I dislike about this.

LOL yeah pwc aren't fun, especially for larger tanks. But the good news is during a fishless cycle you won't have to change water until maybe part-way through if nitrItes get stuck to high and then once at the end before you get fish (unless, er, you overdose the ammonia ;))

Do you have an automatic siphon? I don't have one yet but heard they are fantastic, I'm definitely getting one when I get fish (even though hopefully even then pwc will only be 1-2x weekly).

LOG: Day 2

Well I'm freaking out a little. :eek: I've been doing a lot of reading and seeing a lot of people that are taking months to get their tanks to cycle. :nono: I decided to try and up my odds. I ordered an active 4" sponge filter from Angels Plus. I have high hopes that this will speed up the process or at least make it more likely that I will have some success. I have an extra air connection on my air pump that I can hook it to. Hopefully it will be here early next week.

Here is an interesting post from someone that used one of these things. At any rate I don't know if I'm going to make it through this process. I grew up in the 70s and 80s and need instant gratification.

Anyway, late last night I got all worried that I had screwed something up, specifically I got it in my head that the chlorine was still in the water and it would kill the bacteria I'm trying to grow. This is stupid because I KNOW I put the conditioner in there. :facepalm:

So I tested the water again and added a little more of the conditioner and powdered bacteria. I know I won't see any difference but I'll test the water again when I get home tonight. :whistle:

This whole thing is pretty crazy. I'm not even a week into the first tank and I can't stop thinking about what I would do for another one. This is a bad sign for me. I can see myself potentially getting completely out of control.

Last edited:
Ah! MTS. Multiple Tank Syndrome. It kicks in quick for those of us that are susceptible and have empty floor space in our homes!

This hobby will teach you patience whether you like it or not (I hate it). I too desire instant gratification! Totally worth it in the end. I've also realized that most of the enjoyment actually comes in the waiting. Once its cycled and stocked sure, its great to look at but all you will want to do is start on the next one!

Applause for going fishless! I made the mistake of doing my research too late and luckily, Eco got me through it. Much better for all involved in the long run.

P.S. The water changer is the most essential tool in my arsenal!

zparticle said:
LOG: Day 2

Well I'm freaking out a little. :eek: I've been doing a lot of reading and seeing a lot of people that are taking months to get their tanks to cycle. :nono: I decided to try and up my odds. I ordered an active 4" sponge filter from Angels Plus. I have high hopes that this will speed up the process or at least make it more likely that I will have some success. I have an extra air connection on my air pump that I can hook it to. Hopefully it will be here early next week.

Here is an interesting post from someone that used one of these things. At any rate I don't know if I'm going to make it through this process. I grew up in the 70s and 80s and need instant gratification.
I think I know that guy :p

P.s. Stop using the powdered bacteria.

I guess you could. If it were me I would keep it running in there alongside your main filter for a few months, then you can use it to instantly cycle a new tank or a quarantine/hospital tank as needed.

I got one of the black 4" filters from Angels Plus. I put it in the corner and ran my air bubble through it. After I added my ammonia, I had nitrites within 5 days. A few days after that I had nitrates. However, at day 30, my tank is not cycled yet. I expect it to be done within the next 2 weeks, hopefully sooner. The sponge did give me the seeded material. I am not sure it speeded up the cycling process.

I tried a sponge filter from them during my first try at fishless cycling, but it didn't work (but NOTHING worked for that tank, so much so I gave up after 6 weeks and returned the tank and started with all new stuff). Things like that may or may not help the cycle along but it won't instantly cycle the tank, you have some waiting ahead. But don't give in and get fish.....if you hate doing water changes, imaging having to do 1-2 daily (rather large ones sometimes) and checking the water daily and worrying about the fish, I tried it that way initially (because I didn't know any better) and it was NOT fun.

I also agree with JetaJockey: stop using the fake bacteria.

Can you guys tell me why you think I should stop using the powdered bacteria? I just want to understand. If it doesn't work it won't hurt anything will it? If it does work then I'm that much further ahead aren't I?

Because it has the potential to give you false readings for one. The type of bacteria they use in powdered supplements especially is not the same kind that is naturally responsible for the nitrification process in an aquarium. It does the job, but very poorly by comparison, and does not sustain itself. With that in mind, it can possibly give you the idea that all is well in the tank, when it really isn't, and when it dies off you may have a toxin spike because of it.

There's also conjecture that it competes with the proper nitrifiers for a food source.

Can you guys tell me why you think I should stop using the powdered bacteria? I just want to understand. If it doesn't work it won't hurt anything will it? If it does work then I'm that much further ahead aren't I?

I don't have any direct experience with this so someone else might chime in, but what I've heard and read they can cause your biofilter to become very instable. It may look like your tank is cycled and then inexplicably at some point in the future your whole cycle crashes. I wouldn't want to chance it, myself, although using the stuff is tempting (I actually did use a bottle during my first attempt at cycling but that was after 5 weeks of trying to cycle it and I was desperate. I didn't notice any changes. I think my other tank was just resistant to cycling. I've since changed models and am just using ammonia and hope I don't get desperate enough again to consider the fake stuff lol).

Back
Top Bottom