Long finned blue danios upsetting peaceful tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asheville_finn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a well planted 20 gal tank with he following...

2 black neon tetra
2 upside down catfish
9 neon tetra
1 oto
2 bristle nosed pleco
5 - 10 ghost shrimp at a given time

The tank's been thriving with regular water changes and care not to overfeed. I wanted to add another small school of mid water fish so I went and got 5 long-finned blue danios. They sort of are upsetting the apple cart a bit, chasing all the tetras around, even thought they look great int he tank. I'm aware I may be overstocked a bit, any sugggestions on another species I'd think of adding other than these danios, or not add at all, maybe trade in for a few more BNTs? should I let them settle for a week and see how things progress? Another species I had thought of adding were 3 small corys, only if they are a species that wouldn;t grow too big. Biggest fear is that I'll overstock and stress all my fish and crash the tank. But it would be nice to have a few more fish swimming in the middle of the tank, I love the catfish et al. but they are tucked away much of time. anyway any insights or experiences would be welcome. thnx.

Hey! I love Asheville can't wait to move back up there. :lol: You should check out area191.net if you haven't already, some great local help there. Mountains to sea aquariums is my fav. LFS up there.

First of all I would suggest getting 1 or 2 more ottos as they like to be in groups. I'm not a huge fan of upside down catfish, maybe if I had some night lights on my tank I could enjoy them. Wish I hadn't bought them to be honest. Danios can be nippy and are aggressive eaters I would def. trade for a couple more BNTs.

Also check out a display fish like a pair of kribenses, rams, or apistos. These guys will explore the tank and have very different behaviors than tetras.

thanks, I'll look into those other species of display fish. I'll try another oto or 2 but over the months I've tried to keep 3 seems like the tank only wants one for now, since 2 wold inevitably die off. I think there may not have been enough algae to go around, and they wouldn't take veg or pellets.

The danios are really nice looking int he tank but its making the tank a nervous mass of darting fish.

Back
Top Bottom