Long long story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your city or town uses Chloramine, they will tell you if you call and ask.

You might need to note that you will need a little more Prime than the standard dose if you have Chloramines to break the bond, it is tougher than the Chlorine.

Also whether or not you use well or city water, there could always be heavy metals in water, so I recommend using Prime all the time.

Thanks for explanation, so the AP 2 bottle ammonia test kit youve mentioned is this a separate kit I should buy outside of my basic water testing kit?

From the pictures, it looks like you are already using the AP (aquarium pharmaceuticals) freshwater master test kit, so you are good. It's what most of us use.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Initially my concern was cos amnonia had increased to. 0.25, and around this time we had a couple of fish deaths. However things have settled more and amnonia has been very low these last few days and no more dead fish. Was just trying to figure out what was going on incase I was missing something crucial.

All responses have been very helpful in understanding my water more. So I suppose il just wait things out for a while, keep checking water and making sure it's sustained to ensure its definitely cycled.........and hopefully no more dead fish/problems!!

Il definitely be going to a different fish store in the future for hardy beginner fish so hopefully my poor wee son doesn't have any more fish joining "grandad in heaven "

Although would you believe that out of all the fish deaths and problems the rummys have been the happiest and healthiest.........We've been lucky cos having researched them the lfs should not have advised them as "beginner" fish.

Cheers to everyone who has taken the time to respond. ......no doubt yous will hear from me again in the future!

Sent from my SM-G800F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Average test results over the last few days.....

Attachments

• 1416184970528.jpg
    1416184970528.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 49
Glad it's going better.

My little one (also Seth, lol) really believed for a long time (and told all our family and friends) that having a fish tank meant you buy a betta, keep it a little while, then it dies, then you flush it ... Then you buy another one. For the first 3 months of having my 29 gallon community tank he asked quite often, "so when will they die?"

The things we teach our kids ...

Anyway. Best of luck going forward.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Just a wee update, 10 days straight nitrites and amnonia 0, nitrates 5. PH 7.8, still a little high for some so we've just ordered an osmosis kit to help. So I'd say we're Def cycled now. Cheers everyone for advice. Def understand water conditions so much better on this forum than in any book I've read! :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom