longest cycle ever! celebration!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiLuckyFin

Aquarium Advice Activist
My ammonia is going down... finally! *Happy dance*

Lucky I don't mind doing thrice weekly water changes! (For the health of our babies)

It's been two months so far...

I've had nitrite for a week or so, it's now peaked and is steady. I had TRACES of nitrite for weeks!

Just a bit slow!

Nitrate is increasing slowly too.

Current levels

Ammonia 0.50 (peaked at 2 before I got measurable nitrite)
Nitrite 1 (for a couple of days now)
Nitrate not *quite* 5 (very slowly increasing)
pH 7.6
Temps around 17-18C

I'm happy enough with it, I know it will get there. The fish are happy, healthy, great goldfish-y behavior.

I have been using aquarium salt through the process. Not sure whether I'll keep using it once the cycle its finished or let it slowly disappear through PWCs.

Could be another two months till then LOL

Well awesome! You are on the right track! Once you get those trates you are almost completely done and I would expect it to turn over very quickly, at least that's what mine did

I was just getting to the point of questioning my filtration. Still not 100% sure, but at least it's all heading in the right direction.

Gave the filter media a swish round in old tank water the other day and it smells like potting mix. It's got a lovely earthy smell. Definitely nothing anaerobic there.

Do you have goldfish? If so, is that the reason your water is so cold? If you don't have goldfish, you could stand to up the temp. a bit. The nitrifying bacteria love warm water. And, if you do have goldfish, disregard this. Your temperature is great.

It's now 0.25ppm... from yesterday. :-D

And upon research have found the earthy smell in filter media IS good, as I thought it would be :)

Back
Top Bottom