Looking for compatibility opinions --- community with Angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks :) I would have told him that but I was too caught off guard by his tone and his overall demeanor to respond in a timely manner.

As far as the tank readings, ammonia is still going down to 0 in less than 24 hours, but I still can't figure out why the nitrite jumped from .4ppm to >5ppm after the water change. Any ideas? It still hasn't dropped, and I'm frustrated that we lost the nitrite momentum after the water change. Is it the water change that caused it? If so, why / how? Or, would adding the Aquaclear 110 filter be messing with it somehow?

I just can't figure out that jump for the life of me.

I wish I could rename this thread a more appropriate title! :)

In doing research on the nitrite test, I've concluded that last week when we ended up going to the LFS and doing a PWC, what I tested was not actually a spike in nitrites. Instead, prior to going to the LFS, our nitrites were off the chart. After the PWC, they were simply readable once more.

Our nitrites went back off the chart again last night (test starting out deep fuchsia and turning a cloudy, grey, purpley color at the five minute mark) and the color it was turning made me start researching more thoroughly.

So, deciding that we're off the charts in nitrites, we just did another PWC. I'm going to test in an hour after things settle, note the stats, and test again in the morning and do another PWC until I ideally get the nitrites down to 1ppm. I think there's just too much nitrite going on in the tank for any colony that likely does exist to handle at this point! :)

Here's to hoping we can get this under control soon! We are beyond ready for fish! :D

EDIT: Also, when doing a water change, do you add Prime while the water is filling, or after you've put it all in? We've been doing it during, but then I inevitably get paranoid and add more immediately after. heh.

If you use prime, it detoxified ammonia so you might not get ready right after sowing the tank or something.

Since I dont think anyone suggested it on here, try aqadvisor.com. You put in your tank size, and filtration and it gives you a huge list of fish. Select the types you want and quantity and it tells you compatibility, stock%, recommended PWC, the works. I've heard it's conservative, but if they say you list is good then your in great shape! Also I have kuhli loaches and I love them! Sometimes I go on kuhli hunts to make sure they're all still there! You will see them dart across from time to time, plus it's a riot watching them try to catch them at the store:)

my tank has the same dims as yours I have 3 zebra danios, 3 gold barbs, 2 rainbow shark, 2 angel fish, and a sword tail. they all seem to get along except one of the rainbow shark is aggressive to who ever gets close to his hiding spot. I have two 60 gallon filters running and a 30 gallon in tank filter.

Hehe, this is why I wanted to rename the thread :)

Thanks guys! I've already decided on my stocking levels with help from previous members and (as jespeguin added) aqadvisor.com :)

I've been posting along about my struggles with the cycle / worries about it / etc.

But! The good news is that after a series of 90% water changes, we got nitrate (which was apparently way way way off the chart high) down to readable levels again, and last night the nitrite dropped to JUST above zero (like the tiniest hint of purple). So, I redosed ammonia last night, and I'm waiting now to see what happens. If all goes well, then another water change tonight and fish tomorrow! :D

Back
Top Bottom