Looking for Filter Media Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
are you trying to go the cheaper route or the ultimate better route?

The better route, unless it's much too expensive of course.

okay, well i like to clean my filters instead of just throwing them out every month. I have this filter and LOVE it! There are many things you could do with it. You could build a media basket out of cross stiching canvas and put some marineland bio balls in it. Other than putting this in and replacing the filters with sponges from a dollar store, you could build yourself a freshwater refugium.

Don't replace the filter media unless it's falling apart. The manufacturers tell you to keep replacing it but no need to, you'll just keep thowing away your beneficial bacteria and keep throwing your tank into a mini-cycle. Personally I like the AquaClear HOB filters; you can customize them with different types of media (pads, ceramic balls, sponges, etc) and they're pretty quiet.

Don't replace the filter media unless it's falling apart. The manufacturers tell you to keep replacing it but no need to, you'll just keep thowing away your beneficial bacteria and keep throwing your tank into a mini-cycle. Personally I like the AquaClear HOB filters; you can customize them with different types of media (pads, ceramic balls, sponges, etc) and they're pretty quiet.

I guess it is just a personal thing, but I feel that the media won't through your tank into a mini cycle. There is little filter surface on that pad and there is bad things on the pad that need to be taken off and disinfected.

You could also through some bio rings down in the bottom of the filter as well

Here's cheaper and better for that Penguin...
Don't buy cartridges, they are a waste of money. If it is time to change your cartridge do this: Rip/cut the old blue floss off of the plastic frame, cut a piece of bulk floss slightly larger then the plastic frame, you can get a big bag for about six bucks. Get two rubber bands and attach the floss to the plastic frame. Done on the cheap.

Don't change your media though until it is no longer useable, just rinse it off in old tank water when you do a PWC.

That Penguin can hold four cartridges, you have many options with it. Run all four cartridges, run two cartridges with bags of ceramic rings between the cartridge and bio-wheel, run two cartridges with poly pillow stuffing before the cartridges. I don't put poly pillow stuffing between the cartridge and the bio-wheel because you will have floss bits floating around the tank. I my goldfish tank I run three cartridges and one bag of ceramic rings.

Heres two options for these filters in respect to their cartridges. One is to cut off the blue filter bag/carbon section, keep the black plastic part & use another type of media with it (i use filter foam inserts in front of it). The second is to slit the bottom of the blue bag & dump out the carbon & stuff the bag with new media (i use polyfill). The second set of greyish cartridges will need to be filled with some sort of media as well (anything you can stuff in them to provide more surface area for bacteria to grow). Hope this helps!

I guess it is just a personal thing, but I feel that the media won't through your tank into a mini cycle. There is little filter surface on that pad and there is bad things on the pad that need to be taken off and disinfected.

By throwing your media away, you are throwing away the large majority of your beneficial bacteria & risking throwing a tank back into cycle. Theres actually quite a bit of surface area on these pads (i have 2 emperor 400's). What 'bad things' do you think are on the pads that need to be 'disinfected'??

xtra51 said:

That's where all of the bb grow. So if you get rid of all that how can it not go into a cycle? Never heard of anything bad on it????

Thanks everyone, I'm not 100 percent sure what I'm going to do yet but it's pretty obvious that whatever I do I should use a filter as long as I can. Now, about activated carbon...it seems the general consensus around here is that you shouldn't use it but I don't understand why or why not.

Its not that you cant use carbon (you can) but its just not necessary & only serves as an additional monthly expense (which most of us dont need anyway!). Carbon is useful for removing meds & odors so it serves a purpose when its needed. :)

Back
Top Bottom