looking for fish to add to the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shanz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So im not getting my tank for a while (month or so), but Id like to have some things planned out. It is a 40g, tall tank and Id like to take advantage of all i guess"planes" of the water, so bottom dwellers, top dwellers and guys for the middle.

Id like to have a few schools of Zebra danios or something of the like. But im looking for suggestions for some good community fish. Id like something with a lot of color, I really like Angelfish, but I know they can get quite big/be aggressive. Im also looking to add some live plants to the tank, but last time I had them the snails drove me NUTS

Just really want to get a feel for what everyone thinks can be done.

edit: also, im not much into live bearers, so Id like to steer away from guppies etc

Look at tetras. I am getting tetras for my tank next month. They come in different varieties. The cardinal neons are very striking. These fish school in groups of 6+. For bottom dwellers look at cory catfish or otos (also schoolers).

Loaches!!!!!! OMG! I love my kuhlis. If you have a 40, then you might be able to get some larger loaches that are famous for ridding tanks of snails. Loaches are bottom dwellers.

Is your 40 long or is it more deep than anything. Another fish I found fascinating is the african butterfly fish. It's peaceful from what I remember though it does try to fit anything it can into it's mouth especially small surface dwelling fish. It won't bother non-surface fish though. African Butterflyfish, Freshwater Butterflyfish, Butterfly fish, Pantodon buchholzi

Glass cats are really neat also.

For colorful fish, some people around here were talking about how cool the rummy-nose tetras are.

thank you for the suggestions. The tank is a taller hexagonal shaped tank, Ill have to get the specs on it. I was thinking of loaches anyway..I had a clown loach in my last tank.

I hope you will be doing a fishless cycle? You can keep a pair of angels in that tank. If you do keep angels, don't put neons or cardinal tetras with them. The angels will eat them. Angels go well in tall tanks.

You could put German Blue rams or bolivian rams in the tank. Or go wih schools of tetras, or dwarf rainbowfish.

Bottom dwellers, you could have a school of kuhli's or yoyo loaches. Cory cats and a ancistrus pleco. You have quite a few options.

For top dwellers, hatchetfish are a favorite. You must however keep the tank well covered. The are jumpers.

i will be doing a fishless cycle, have to read the article on it a few more times to make sure i fully understand and I will be slowly starting to pick up supplies, starting with a stand/cabinet.

As far as angelfish go, will Barbs be big enough to survive them?? and I suppose if I really cant put in tetras, no danios either?? In that case, are barbs really schooling fish because Id really like to have a school or two.

Im not dead set on the angelfish, ive just always liked them and they come in very nice colors

Danios would do better in a long tank rather than a tall tank. Depending on the barb, it can be done. Tiger barbs can be a bit aggressive but in a school are usually better. Tetras can be done with angels, just not neons and cardinals.

so ive been searching around and found some fish im interested in. Assuming angelfish are out of the equation, would any/all of these be good together?

cherry barb
silver tipped tetra
tiger barbs
clown loach
dwarf gourami<<really like these, but know they CAN be agressive
zebra danios
neon tetra
goldskirt tetra
bleeding heart tetra <<really like these

now of these, am I right in saying really only the neons, silver tips and danios are schooling fish??

Im planning on a decently planted aquarium with a loach or two, to help clean things up--mostly those snails that drive me nuts.

You can put neon tetras and cardinals in with angelfish. The angelfish will have to be quite large before they view the tetras as a food source. If you are worried about the angels eating the tetras, which I wouldn't be, buy neons instead of cardinals. Neons are generally much cheaper so if the angels do kill them they are only $1.50-2.00 each instead of the $3.5o pricetag of the cards.

Most tetras are a schooling fish. Danios will "school" but it seems more like a game of tag more often than not when I had them. They all chase after the leader and follow one until it is tired and then another takes over.

I also recommend hatchetfish. They will stay exclusively in the top portion of the tank and they will jump so get a tight fitting lid!

If you decide to go with angelfish stay away from tiger barbs and other fin nippers. Angels will not chase danios.

For your tank I'd recommend:

3 corys
1 BN pleco
8 neon or cardinal tetras
8 glowlight tetras
8 hatchetfish
2 young angelfish (not altums)
2 German Blue Rams

that would be a nice looking planted tank bs6749 i agree fewer fish but bigger schools ...also shanz skip them silvertip tetras i find they bug all of the peacefull tetras

thanks for the suggestions.
My next question is, my sister is giving me the tank, shes only ever had goldfish in it and currently only has one small black moor, we are trading tanks so shes taking my 25g. Do i need to drain the tank and wash it out thoroughly, or just drain it?? And if I do need to wash it, is there a certain soap that would be better than another or does it really matter?

just drain it. If its dirty then you could clean it, DO NOT use SOAP!!. You can use a diluted solution of bleach or vinegar( I read mostly talk about a 20 part water to 1 part bleach solution). Or use some non iodized salt mixed in warm water. For my used tank that I just got I just used aquarium salt in hot water to clean the tank, I used a razorblade on the hard spots(if your is not glass then dont use a razor blade).

Clown Loaches wouldn't be appropriate for your aquarium long term. They grow to 12" and are best kept in schools. If you were planning to upgrade to a larger aquarium, they'd be okay in a smaller aquarium for awhile since they are slow growers.

just drain it. If its dirty then you could clean it, DO NOT use SOAP!!. You can use a diluted solution of bleach or vinegar( I read mostly talk about a 20 part water to 1 part bleach solution). Or use some non iodized salt mixed in warm water. For my used tank that I just got I just used aquarium salt in hot water to clean the tank, I used a razorblade on the hard spots(if your is not glass then dont use a razor blade).

Why aquarium salt and water? I guess I don't see the point of cleaning the tank with salt. Is the reason for using salt to kill the beneficial bacteria present in the tank?

I agree, don't use soap, and don't use salt for that matter. I'd take out the substrate and put it in a bucket. Clean the tank out with WHATEVER water : bleach ratio you want. Then, rinse for several minutes with tapwater. After that rinse add quite a bit of dechlorinator to the tank and fill it with water. Let the water sit for half an hour, dump it and then fill up the tank two more times with just tap water and empty the tank. You should have no problems doing that.

Just rinse the substrate in a 5 gallon bucket until the water is clear and no more waste can be removed from it. Rinse with water that is warm and NOT hot or cold. You shouldn't have to cycle your tank if this is done correctly.

Also, razorblades are perfectly fine to use on glass assuming that you keep the glass wet when you clean the tank. You won't scratch the glass if it's wet and if you don't purposely try to cut it.

Back
Top Bottom