Looking for opinion on stock list for a 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXaggie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! I'm getting close to having a cycled tank (fishless cycle, ammonia down to 0.5 today, nitrites down to 1.0, and nitrates at 40ppm...getting close!!) and I'd like to get an opinion on my goal stock list for this tank. I'm not planning on getting everything all at once, I think I'll start with the Gertrude's as they are usually in stock at my LFS. AqAdvisor seems to think things look ok, but I'd like an opinion from some live people. ; )

29g lightly planted low light/low tech tank

6x Gertrude's Rainbowfish
9x Dainty Cory (corydoras habrosus)
4x Peacock Gudgeons (I love these guys! I hope they come in stock somewhere soon!)
1 -2 Dwarf Honey Gourami
some red cherry shrimp
possibly a few snails, not entirely sure what type

I'm trying very hard not to overstock, as this is my first tank and I don't want to overload myself with maintenance.

Do you think it'll be ok to start with the Gertrude's after my cycle is complete? How long do I wait before adding other fish to the mix?

Looks good to me. I would consider passing on the dwarfs or doing just one. I've seen some pretty bad fights between DG's.

After the cycle is over you can add whichever fish you want. The biofilter will be ready for them.

Thanks for the info! Good to know that dwarf honeys can be fighters too, most of what I read said they're more peaceful than some gouramis, but experience is better information. I really don't want to start out with fish getting aggressive with each other!

My other thought was a single male betta instead of a gourami, but I'm a little nervous about putting one in a community tank with other brightly colored fish.

I wouldn't put a betta in there. I have Gertrudae's and they are very peaceful fish that dwell mostly at the mid-top level and their fins may be too tantalizing for a betta to ignore.

I don't have experience with Gudgeons but I've read they can become aggressive when they spawn, so be careful and have some caves and hiding spots for them. They are also going to stay more at the bottom near the Corys and Gudgeons can be harder to feed as they may only accept live or frozen foods and they may be outcompeted for food by the Corys.

For the Corys I'd do an even number, either 8 or 10 so each of them has a pal. :)

Sounds like I was ok to be nervous about putting a betta in that community mix. I'll stick with a dwarf honey gourami then.

I do have some hiding spots (caves) prepared already for my gudgeons when I get them. I'm betting they'll be last on my list since they seem to be so hard to find!

How often/how soon after adding my first fish do I need to test my water?

After doing a fishless cycle on my first tank I tested everyday for a week. I think it's just what you are comfortable with, but after your tank can convert a large quantity of ammonia into nitrates after a day you really don't have much to worry about IMO.

Sounds like I was ok to be nervous about putting a betta in that community mix. I'll stick with a dwarf honey gourami then.

I do have some hiding spots (caves) prepared already for my gudgeons when I get them. I'm betting they'll be last on my list since they seem to be so hard to find!

How often/how soon after adding my first fish do I need to test my water?

To be safe and for peace of mind, I'd say daily for a week. Right now your biofilter is at its strongest so add as many fish as you can now. If you wait too long the bacteria will drop to match the fish load in the tank. So if you wait too long before adding more you may get some initital spikes in ammonia or/and nitrite. To be safe, anytime you add fish just test for at least a few days to be sure nothing is spiking.

Good deal, I'll plan on daily testing for the first week or so then. Hopefully I'll be posting fish pictures next. : )

I really appreciate all the information, ya'll!

Back
Top Bottom