Looking for small fish that prefer top level of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

segrayson

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am getting closer to finally purchasing some fish as my 29 gallon planted tank is almost cycled! I am trying to choose a species of microrasbora or boraras, as well as some dwarf loaches. I figure I have the middle and bottom levels of the tank covered, but I can't figure out what small fish (1"-2") to get for the topmost level. I want a good community fish that isn't going to try and eat the smaller schooling fish! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea where to go from here!

Sarah

I don't know much about the fish you have mentioned, so I do not know how they will be with them, but I'd just got with Guppies. I don't know of many other surface fish which can go in a 29.

I have 6 Golden clouds in my 26G tank, they are small, they are not tetras, so they don't schoal or school really good, but they are beautiful, they are always swimming in the top of the tank, they are fun to watch and they are always hungry, they eat top and middle.

That is my suggestion.:bandit:

+ 1 for the hatchets.
I've never seen Pygmy ones mentioned earlier, but I keep marble hatchets. They are adorable top dwellers.

My bloodfins hang out at the top as do my H rasboras and most of the glolites.

Pygmy marble hatchets would be awesome, if you can find em(try aquabid or tropical fish auction)

gouramis some times frequent the top of the tank ther are smaller speices of them and they look cool too... not as cool as marble hatchet fish tho

Zebra danios stay right at the top. And they are active. I don't know if it's the type of fish your looking for but I like mine. They're fun to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Zebra danios stay right at the top. And they are active. I don't know if it's the type of fish your looking for but I like mine. They're fun to watch.

Argh! I can't believe I didn't think of Danios. :)

I love zebra danios. If that is what you're looking for, I second the zebra danios.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

TraceyB4602 said:

Zebra danios are cool, I've got 5 of them and they are tons of fun, but I wouldn't say they stay on top, not mine at least. Mine are all over the place, often at the bottom looking for food or around the middle chasing each other.

They do go all around, but are classified mainly as top dwellers.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

marble hatchet fish totaly top water never seen them get bigger then 3" a great reason to add some floating plants to the aquarium

No way I would keep zebra danios with any Boraras species. They are too active for Boraras and would easily outcompete them for food. Some of the Microrasboras would do ok with zebra danios, like M. rubescens. They're larger than the Boraras and more active. JMO. ;)

severum mama said:
No way I would keep zebra danios with any Boraras species. They are too active for Boraras and would easily outcompete them for food. Some of the Microrasboras would do ok with zebra danios, like M. rubescens. They're larger than the Boraras and more active. JMO. ;)

I did not know that. Learn something new everyday : )

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

I would go with a form of the white cloud mountain minnows, reg or gold. It looks like you have already chosen fish native to the same biotype.

Back
Top Bottom