Looking to Start larger tank, advice and opinions wanted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mazdaman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have a 20gal fw setup at home woth a red-tailed shark and some rainbows. Have wanted a larger since I got the 20gal but figured I'd wait to see if I would keep up with it. Now that its been over a year and still loving it, I am definetely going to get a larger tank. I'm thinking something in the 40-55gal range. I figure thats a pretty good size show piece but it's not going to cost and arm and a leg. I will be moving the shark and rainbows into the lerger tank and adding some different rainbows and possibly a school of smaller fish. Haven't really decided on which fish to add other than a certain rainbow fish. Anyways now I've let you in on want my plan is here is where the advice/opinions come in.

1. Bowfront/regular - I really like the look of the bowfronts in the stores, but I've read alot of folks say that the bow can distort the view... ...more so on the smaller ones. (really like theoceanic 46gal bow with black metalic stand)

2. Filter - H.O.B. vs Canister - I currently use an aquarclear 150(aquaclear 30 now I believe) Easy to use, does a good job and easy to maintin/clean. I want something REALLY QUIET as this will be going in the common area os an open cencept living space. I read that the rena xp line is really good and quiet. Any comments on this topic would really help.

3. Planted/ plastic plants - I currently have plastic plants, mostly because as i said before, i wasn't sure if I would keep up with the tank maintenace. I really like the look of the real plants in the larger tanks, I think it looks more peaceful in the current. My question is: If I decide to go planted should I plant the plants before adding the fish (after cycled of course) or add the fish wait a while and the begin with plants. Part two of the question is what is the best substrate for plants? and third is: is a planted harder/easier to maintain than one with plastic.

I think that is all for now, I'm still in the research stage and looking for help to keep me on track towards the best possible setup for my buddies. Any other info that one might want to volunteer will be muchly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this "way-too-long" post and responding with any info. Thanks again!!!

:D Welcome to AA. I think you've asked excellent questions.

1. Bowfronts are a matter of taste. IMO the only downside is they are more expensive.

2. Cannister filters are the quietest and most versatile. I'm still a big fan of Fluval but others will sing the praises of Eheim or Rena. In truth they are all excellent options over HOBs. A Fluval 304 does a great job on 55g

3. Planted tanks are awesome but a bit more challenging. As a newbie to plants, you should start a low light tank. Stay with plants such as java fern, anubias and crypts and you won't have to worry about the substrate. You can add the plants anytime you like.

HTH

A good thing you can do is check ebay, local papers, and petstore (sales) with a price in mind that you want to spend. You could find a bowfront set up with an HOB filter that is good for plants... or a regular tank with a canister filter that has low lighting. Or a larger tank that is really cheap. Deals are out there, you just have to find them =o)

The three questions you have asked are good questions, but they are all personal preferences/opinions as to which is better. So see what you can get and work with it that way

Im sure your shark will love the bigger space!
Welcome to AA =o)

depending where you are in Canada, BA has sales which 75Gals and 55 Gals go on sale for 99$, 65's will sometimes go on sale for 79$, (tanks only) (and there should be another grand opening sale soon since the St. Catherines location will be opening soon)

Bowfronts IMO are too expensive and require odd stands.

I recently replaced a tetra whisper 40 with a Fluval 304 (I have a Tetra Whisper 60 on the tank aswell) and I must say, you can't hear the cannister at all, not to mention the media is so "Whatever you want" as opposed to "Whatever will fit" in the HOB

Another plant question... ...Seeing as how i will be new to the planted tank setup, would planting the plants in the new tank without fish (after cycled) be easier to keep the plants or do the fishies really help with the "nutrient cycle". Im just thinking that without the fish I wouldn't have to be so worried about making a mistake that could be harmful to the fish. That way i could sorta mess around trying to get the plants in and growing and once done move the fishies in. Thanks again...

You can plant the plants from day 1. This will be good since your tank will still have to cycly, so your plants have enough time to take root in your substrate. It is not too hard to keep plants. Have a look in my gallery, my tanks are very low light (less then 1W/gallon) and I can keep plants. Just go for low-light plants like hornwort, waterweed, java fern, java moss are all good starter plants. Fast growing stern plants do require some extra maintenance as they have to be pruned regularly. You can replant the cuttings from stern plants and you have a new plant!

Plants do not exactly help the cycle, but don't bother it either.

Good luck!

Having a Rena Filstar and several Eheims, I must say that there is probably no quieter canister filter than an Eheim. My Rena can be heard in the room, even with the cabinet doors shut. Not so with the Eheims. They are more expensive, but they will last you forever.

I agree you can go ahead and put the plants in. Take Brian's advice and stick with low light plants and you won't have to worry about dosing nutrients and adjusting this and that - provided you have fluorescent lighting above them they will just take care of themselves.

I have a 46g bowfront and I love it. It doesn't distort the fish at all, IMO. I did not buy a stand because I put the tank on a sturdy bureau that has a unique paint finish that compliments the tank. (The bureau also has a slightly curved front that mimics the tanks' curves)

* You do have to be cautious about weight distribution when using "non-traditional" stands.... :wink: But for me, I love stands that reflect my own style - I don't like the cheapy ones.

Back
Top Bottom