lost bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ElanaJoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! I had a long journey (mostly procrastinating) with getting my tank up and running. I finally did a successful fishless cycle (processing 4ppm ammonia <24hr) , and ordered fish from my lfs. Well, a few weeks went by, and no fish. I decided to make sure it was still cycled and added ammo to 3ppm, it was 0 the next day. So I assumed it was still cycled. Now, I finally decided I should really be going with sand for the cory cats I'm getting, so I emptied ALL of the water (had to anyways because the nitrAtes were still sky high from the cycling process) and swapped the gravel for sand. I put some gravel in a stocking (about the size of 2 baseballs) and there is lots of extra floss stuff that I cycled the tank with and a small piece of driftwood and a decoration.

So...Now what? :ermm: How do I know I have enough bacteria left? 80%of the gravel is out the door! Should I test it again? If so, how much? Can I simulate the bioload without going overboard, or is that what 4ppm is? Will one test shoot up my Nitrates again? I have fish on hold now form a different specialized fish store 45 minutes away, and want to pick them up soon, but am hoping to avoid a mini-cycle catastrophe. Any suggestions? (getting the pygmy corys btw! :) )

How much rock is in the system?

Hi. I'm not even sure I know what that means, if you mean gravel, there is the size of about 2 baseballs in a stocking on top of the sand in one corner. the filter is the floss with carbon in the middle (I think) and I have huge wads of floss that I cycled it with obtained from the tanks at my lfs. The tank is a 5 gal (small, I know!)

when you drained the tank did you keep everything wet while replacing gravel with sand.
was your filter media exposed to air . you may need to run another cycle . but it wouldn't
hurt to do a ammonia check . you may get lucky or hit a mini cycle because of the new sand.
Tips and Tricks For Your Fastest Fishless Cycle! - Aquarium Advice

Kept everything wet in the old water. If I should add ammo, how much should I add? And how quickly should I be checking to see if it processes it? Then I guess do a partial change to bring any nitrates back down??
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom