Low Alkalinity - A Problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCLJorgenson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have had one or two fancy goldfish in my 10g aguarium for at least two years, but recently switched to tropical fish. One of my fancy guppies died today, not sure why but it was stuck to the filter intake.

I just use the Quick Dip tabs for water quality testing and I know people say they are worthless. Anyway, right now it showed every reading as acceptable except my total alkalinity is on the low side. It seems to be aroound 20 or 30 KH ppm, where ideal is between 120 and 180. pH seems good, around 7.0.

Can someone help me understand if this low alkalinity may be creating problems and, if so, what I can do remedy it? I have been doing 25% water changes at least every week.

Your KH is a little low. The KH helps give the water buffering capacity(the ability to maintain stable PH. KH and alkalinity are closely related. You have enough bio load(fish and uneaten food) that the bio process is producing acids fast enough to reduce the alkalinity. Two things you can try, step up waters changes to two, 50% per week, test alkalinity immediately after your WC, and again in about 72 hrs. If a big drop is noted, you can try more and larger WC's. You can also use some alkalinity booster(crushed oyster shell, or dolomite in a media bag in your filter. If you choose the later, make sure to test alkalinity regularly, so it don't get too high to fast.

Another fancy guppy died last night. :p It's beautiful fan shaped tail had split in two down the middle, just a few days before it died.

Back
Top Bottom