Low ammonia, normal nitrates, very high nitrites????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michelleyyy919

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone! So I'm a fairly new aquarium owner and my tank is about a month old now. I've been through craziness with extremely high ammonia levels and nitrates. Finally, I've gotten my ammonia level down to zero, my nitrates are at a good level. But then I tested my nitrates. And they are extremely high. What is a cure for this? How can I lower my levels? Are daily water changes nessacary?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a 10 gallon aquarium by the way with an african dwarf frog. 2 guppies and a catfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, this is fairly normal for where you are in the cycle. What is happening is that your ability to convert nitrites->nitrates have not caught up to you ability to ammonia->nitrites. They will catch up with time as the BB colonies grow.

Water changes are the solution in the short-term. As for how much, it depends on what your specific readings for nitrite are.

Daily chsnges will help a ton with lowering the nitrites to a readable and safer level. If your ammoina is 0 and high nitrites that's a good sign, but your ammoina eating bacteria need food, add some flakes or if your doing fishless cycle dose to 1 ppm and a flake or two to help buffer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom