Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2014, 12:05 AM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds exhilarating! !!!#!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 11-02-2014, 01:25 AM   #92
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

How's it all going? Any changes?

Old 11-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

Low Maintenance Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
How's it all going? Any changes?
Hello Del...

The tank is still running well. No water changes, just top offs. Removed the filter media from the internal filter. No more mechanical filtration. Kept the filter running for a bit more aeration, though. No more water testing. The fish are my testers. Just keeping an eye on them. They seem active and healthy. A nice crop of Guppy fry, since I feed every other day. The Aglaonema plants are very large now, one covers half the tank on one side. The Hornwort has completely covered the surface of the tank and is roughly 6 inches thick in some areas. Plenty of room for hiding the females and the fry.

Did have a bit of an issue with some beard algae, but I keep it cleaned out and the Duckweed is going crazy. I clean it out about weekly.

Thanks for checking in.

B
Old 11-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #94
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Wow, excellent news
Old 01-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi B any update on this tank, would love to see another few pics of how its progressing

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 01-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Addict

Low Maintenance Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
Hi B any update on this tank, would love to see another few pics of how its progressing

Hello tom...

Haven't taken any pictures of it lately. Still running though and have too many Guppy fry to begin to count. The surface of the tank is now completely covered with Hornwort, so that could account for the high fry survival rate. There's a lot of places to hide. A little while ago I took some fertilized Corydoras eggs from another tank and put them into this tank. Can't tell if any hatched, too much growth in there. The tank is 55 gallons and is roughly half full, so I may see a small Cory one of these days. Not sure if the water chemistry is close in the two tanks, if not the eggs won't hatch.

The aquatic and land plants thrive in the dissolving organic material that collects on the bottom material from the spent Hornwort leaves. The leaves dissolve and fertilize all the plants. I never need to use commercial ferts.

The Aglaonema's roots are now growing into the substrate and the leaves have grown up to the strip light. No water changes since I set everything up, months ago and the fish are my water testers. Apparently, the high number of fry tells me the water chemistry is fine, despite never changing the water. Just top offs to replace the water lost to evaporation.

Thanks for checking. If I remember, I'll snap some shots of the tank and put them on this site.

B
Old 01-13-2015, 04:42 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Activist

Looking forward to seeing it. I toyed with the idea myself a couple of time but unfortunately I'm short on space.
Pothos vine is another low light house plant that mops up nitrates in a similar way.
It all seems to be about balancing the amount of waste to what the plants can use.
I was hoping I had struck a balance like that in my display tank as the nitrates never seem to reach higher than 5 but I've only been brave enough to leave it 4 weeks without a water change, I have no emerged plants though just a heavily planted tank

Tags
ate, change, low maintenance, maintenance, tan, tank, ten, water, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com