Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

NWC Freshwater Tank

So. A little more on this low maintenance tank. No mistake. There are no water changes required. Just enough treated tap water added daily to maintain the water level in the tank to cover the land plant roots. In my 55 G, I keep the water level at roughly 6 inches to completely cover the plants roots, but the level must stay below the leaves. The leaves of a new "Ag" plant will die if they remain under the water too long. I've noticed that once the new leaves start out underwater, they'll generally grow fine.

The plant is an Aglaonema or Chinese Evergreen. There are several varieties of it. The best I've used is "Cutlass". The leaves have a sword like shape. If you can't get Cutlass, then "Gemini" will work too. You can get them at most of the large, chain grocery stores. Lowe's and Home Depot have them. The plants need to be large. 18 inches or so isn't too tall. Get what you can. I have one very large plant in my 55 and a lot of Hornwort. It's about the best floating water filter I've used. Anacharis is good too and Pennywort will do.

Anyway, a standard large tank with the standard additions like heater, gravel, light strip (hardward store shop light), air stone and air pump, etc. is needed. I want my tank to look pretty good too. The tank will need a filter, to help with gas exchange (aeration). An HOB doesn't work very well, though I've modified them to work. A larger, internal one is easier. Whisper has a good one that's not pricey. I use one for a 40 gallon tank or I've use more than one smaller filter.

More later,

B

Old 09-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I suppose a couple sponge filters would work well, yes?

Old 09-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #13
come get me tang police!

Internal power filters would work also, like the kind used in turtle setups, where you can adjust them to whatever the water level is at.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Low Maintenance Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
I've done some similar kind of low maintenance tanks but have always run into issues with mulm building up in the substrate, and/or subsequent algae issues related to the high organics in the water. Do you still do gravel vacs at all?
Hello again jet...

Have never vacuumed the bottom material in this type of tank or any of my standard tanks. The organic fish and plant material that collects on the bottom does build up in areas of the tank, especially in the areas the farthest from the filter. However, the mulm, detritus or whatever you call it, is constantly dissolving in the water and feeding all the plants. So, quite a bit is used and what's left, doesn't seem to create a water chemistry problem. I should test the water, but the "Ag" plant is fairly large and is heavily rooted. The 30 or so Guppy fry and juveniles in there seem fine.

As for algae, it really has no chance to grow. The "Ag" plants use nutrients about as fast as they become available. Even before they can be used by the benefical bacteria. This new tank has been running for roughly 3 weeks with a bit of hair algae around the filter, but nothing that appears to be growing out of control.

B
Old 09-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #15
come get me tang police!

If you could get a cheap TDS meter off of ebay I'd be interested to see what the tank tests at periodically.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Pics? '

Fishobsessed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:34 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Following

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Low Maintenance Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollysMollies View Post
I suppose a couple sponge filters would work well, yes?
Hello Mollies...

I've only used HOBs and internal filters in these tanks. You can experiment with whatever you have handy. That's what I do. You'll need something to house the good bacteria, but anything with a surface inside the tank will eventually become a home for benefical bacteria. Just as you have with a standard, regular water change tank.

B
Old 09-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Low Maintenance Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
If you could get a cheap TDS meter off of ebay I'd be interested to see what the tank tests at periodically.
Jet...

Have the standard API liquid testing kit. Will see what the water's doing. There's quite a bit of water in there and a lot of plants. Doubt that such tiny fish will have produced too much waste for the system.

That's the advantage of using such small fish and young ones. The wastes are minimal and the good bacteria grows as the fish do. I still have to be careful not to overload the system with a lot of fish added at one time.

B
Old 09-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Low Maintenance Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishobsessed7 View Post
Pics? '
Hello Fish...

Will see what I can send.

B

Tags
ate, change, low maintenance, maintenance, tan, tank, ten, water, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com