Low Maintenance / No Water Change Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBradbury

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello Waterkeeping Hobby Beginners and Others...

For some years. I've worked toward a tank that requires no water changes and put together one that may be workable, long term. A near pure environment for fish and plants. In the past there have been issues with water chemistry, but with the right fish and plants, it looks very promising . If you're new to the hobby, want a little relief from routine tank keeping or looking for a new tank to occupy a little time, let's talk. I'll share what I've learned. We might set a new standard for the "Waterkeeping" hobby. If not, maybe we entertain ourselves by working on something a little different for awhile and learn something new.

B

No Water Change Tanks

Okay...

I'll start. It's best to have a larger tank. I was given an old 55 gallon, one that for safety concerns shouldn't be filled to the top. This is fine, because an NWC tank isn't filled all the way up, but just six inches or so to allow the roots of the land plant I use to stay under the tank water and allow the leaves to be above the water.

So, if you're intrested in more information. Get yourself a 55 gallon tank or one that's long and narrow and not very tall. This type of tank works the best.

I'll be back.

B

Hey B! This is very interesting. I'm looking at getting a 30-40 breeder in the near future. Think one of these would work? They are only 12" high.

Low Maintenance Tanks

Hey B! This is very interesting. I'm looking at getting a 30-40 breeder in the near future. Think one of these would work? They are only 12" high.

Hello Mollys...

The larger 40 G Breeder would be fine. Actually, the larger the tank, the better. The land plants used to maintain the pure water conditions need to be larger, so a larger tank tank will give the plants room. I like to add easy to grow aquatic plants too. The more plants, the better the water conditions.

I don't want to make this project expensive though. I don't spend a lot of money on set up. I try to use stuff I have already. Naturally, you can't do this the first time. But, I'll try to suggest the most economical ways, but still set up a nice tank.

People that see these tanks for the first time, wonder how the fish and plants live without the benefit of a water change. But, these land plants are amazing in their ability to keep the tank water clean.

Talk to you soon.

B

B, what's your plan when the plants and lack of water changes make the water 'too' clean? I.E when they run out of nutrients to utilize? I feel like these situations end with the plants and/or fish limiting themselves once conditions become less favorable.

B, what's your plan when the plants and lack of water changes make the water 'too' clean? I.E when they run out of nutrients to utilize? I feel like these situations end with the plants and/or fish limiting themselves once conditions become less favorable.

+1 good question.

I suspect with a combination of a population of small live bearers like guppies providing nitrates you would have to dose some ferts to restock levels and buffer to keep the ph levels stable.

Low Maintenance Tank

Hello jet...

I've started these tanks before, and this question has come up. In my previous tanks, I feed the fish just like my other planted tanks. The fish do their business as usual and provide the nutrients. I sometimes add a little liquid fert like Seachem's Comprehensive or whatever else I have to the water that must go into the tank to replace evaporation. The tanks are open, so there is a lot of water lost to the air. So, I'm really replacing water, just not nearly as much or as often as a standard water change.

My last, longer term NWC tank was a 30 gallon that ran with no water changes for 2 years. The plants got very large because there were a lot of fish in it. The plants and fish got a little crowded. So, I change it back to a standard tank. This time, the tank is a 55 G.

Hope this answers things.

B

I've done some similar kind of low maintenance tanks but have always run into issues with mulm building up in the substrate, and/or subsequent algae issues related to the high organics in the water. Do you still do gravel vacs at all?

NWC Freshwater Tank

So. A little more on this low maintenance tank. No mistake. There are no water changes required. Just enough treated tap water added daily to maintain the water level in the tank to cover the land plant roots. In my 55 G, I keep the water level at roughly 6 inches to completely cover the plants roots, but the level must stay below the leaves. The leaves of a new "Ag" plant will die if they remain under the water too long. I've noticed that once the new leaves start out underwater, they'll generally grow fine.

The plant is an Aglaonema or Chinese Evergreen. There are several varieties of it. The best I've used is "Cutlass". The leaves have a sword like shape. If you can't get Cutlass, then "Gemini" will work too. You can get them at most of the large, chain grocery stores. Lowe's and Home Depot have them. The plants need to be large. 18 inches or so isn't too tall. Get what you can. I have one very large plant in my 55 and a lot of Hornwort. It's about the best floating water filter I've used. Anacharis is good too and Pennywort will do.

Anyway, a standard large tank with the standard additions like heater, gravel, light strip (hardward store shop light), air stone and air pump, etc. is needed. I want my tank to look pretty good too. The tank will need a filter, to help with gas exchange (aeration). An HOB doesn't work very well, though I've modified them to work. A larger, internal one is easier. Whisper has a good one that's not pricey. I use one for a 40 gallon tank or I've use more than one smaller filter.

More later,

B

Low Maintenance Tanks

I've done some similar kind of low maintenance tanks but have always run into issues with mulm building up in the substrate, and/or subsequent algae issues related to the high organics in the water. Do you still do gravel vacs at all?

Hello again jet...

Have never vacuumed the bottom material in this type of tank or any of my standard tanks. The organic fish and plant material that collects on the bottom does build up in areas of the tank, especially in the areas the farthest from the filter. However, the mulm, detritus or whatever you call it, is constantly dissolving in the water and feeding all the plants. So, quite a bit is used and what's left, doesn't seem to create a water chemistry problem. I should test the water, but the "Ag" plant is fairly large and is heavily rooted. The 30 or so Guppy fry and juveniles in there seem fine.

As for algae, it really has no chance to grow. The "Ag" plants use nutrients about as fast as they become available. Even before they can be used by the benefical bacteria. This new tank has been running for roughly 3 weeks with a bit of hair algae around the filter, but nothing that appears to be growing out of control.

B

Low Maintenance Tanks

I suppose a couple sponge filters would work well, yes?

Hello Mollies...

I've only used HOBs and internal filters in these tanks. You can experiment with whatever you have handy. That's what I do. You'll need something to house the good bacteria, but anything with a surface inside the tank will eventually become a home for benefical bacteria. Just as you have with a standard, regular water change tank.

B

Low Maintenance Tanks

If you could get a cheap TDS meter off of ebay I'd be interested to see what the tank tests at periodically.

Jet...

Have the standard API liquid testing kit. Will see what the water's doing. There's quite a bit of water in there and a lot of plants. Doubt that such tiny fish will have produced too much waste for the system.

That's the advantage of using such small fish and young ones. The wastes are minimal and the good bacteria grows as the fish do. I still have to be careful not to overload the system with a lot of fish added at one time.

B

Back
Top Bottom