Low nitrates - UPDATE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cowgrlw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I updated this on my original post (Low nitrates), but I think it's being missed so I'm reposting.

I dosed up to 4.0 ppm of ammonia one last time yesterday, after I'd done a 50% PWC. In my defense, I did it because that's what I read to do in "The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling" from here: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling That's what I've been following up until I made the original post here, so I thought I should follow what he said to do "one last time" (and you're probably all shaking your heads right about now). :ermm:

Now comes the bad news. I did the 50% water change, which is all hard water and I used the water conditioner, but this time I didn't add salt (which I forgot to mention before that I had added when I started the tank). I checked the ammonia this morning and it was just above 0 ppm, nitrites were at 1.0 ppm, and the nitrates had fallen to below 5 (very dark yellow)! I had removed the bubbler when I did the PWC and I put the water temp back down to 76F, so that's what I thought might have made the difference in the cycle. (By the way, the water was really cold when I did the PWC so I couldn't turn on the heater until this morning. When there are fish in the tank, I usually warm some of the water on the stove and mix it with the colder water to the right temp before I add it, but I haven't been doing that since there are no fish right now.) I then put the bubbler back in and hiked the water temp back up to 77F in hopes that something will help. I waited until 24 hours after I'd done the PWC, and tested again -- the nitrites are now at 2.0 and the nitrates are even closer to 0! I again raised the heater to what will make the tank 82F, and I will also cover it again to block the light as that seemed to work pretty well before.

If I hadn't added the ammonia, it probably would have all been fine. :facepalm: But now it's not and it looks like there won't be any new fish this weekend after all. :ermm: :(

Wendy

Back
Top Bottom