Lowering the PH of a tank w/ Aragonite sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisAre

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a tank for freshwater community fish. My fish all need closer to neutral PH. I got the aragonite for the look, and I have an acidity buffer that I was hoping would permanently lower the PH. It didn't (live and learn). It lowers it, but in a day or so it returns to about 8.0. Do I have any options here (I hear you can put peet in a filter?? does that work?) or am I just going to have to get a new substrate? Thanks!

I've also read that Indian Almond leaves lower ph also. I got a huge pack from a member on here block2. Look in classified section.

It doesn't matter how much buffer you put into your tank, you will never get the pH to remain below 8.0 with aragonite. It's basically a limitless pH 8.0 buffer and the only way you will have an acidic pH is if you don't have an alkaline buffer in the tank. You can try to lower it with stong acids as seen in pH Down and the like, by using peat, and by using Indian Almond leaves but I can guarantee you that you won't get the pH anywhere close to where you want it and you are doing more harm than good by messing with the pH. 8.0 is perfectly acceptable to 95% of the freshwater fish and invertebrates commonly seen in the hobby. pH swings can be deadly to fish and unless you have a specific reason for lowering the pH such as breeding then you should avoid doing so. If you like the looks of lightly colored sand and still want to lower your pH you should try pool filter sand.

8.0 is acceptable? I've collected profiles on all my fish (but one- can't find one for him) and they all say the PH should be a max of about 7. One (a featherfin cat) says 7.5. Are you saying these profiles are just being cautious and all the fish would be fine in 8.0?

Also, I'm cycling the tank- none of these fish are experiencing the PH fluctuations.

Just for reference, I have a Leporinus, a Koi Angel, Featherfin, Pleco and something labeled as a "rainbow pike"- can't find a profile on him.

I think, and bs could elaborate, that these days especially fish commercially bred and sold or subjected to a much wider variety of ph and are therefore much more adaptable. I understand those ph levels you find may refer more to the natural habitat. For all intents and purposes as bs mentioned above, ph is really only important to remain stable. For the most part only breeders and keepers of a few breeds of fish worry about changing the ph.

Wild specimens should have the closest pH as seen in their native waters and some may be adapted to different pH levels over time. As already mentioned, commercially bred fish are much more accepting of pH ranges and 8.0 is undoubtedly fine for them. I keep discus, rams, angels, ABN plecos, neon tetras and other fish that are natively found in soft and acidic waters. My GH is 300ppm or more and my pH is 7.8-8.0 and the fish aren't supposed to be able to breed in these conditions but I've had fry from my discus, angels, and rams. My plecos haven't spawned but I haven't tried to do anything with them yet.

One more question: as far as acclimation goes, suggestions? I'm thinking a drip acclimation from their current tank (7.0 ish PH- don't check GH) to the new one (about 8.0) might be too dramatic of a change. I was thinking of doing a 10% water change in their current tank and using the 8.0 water to replace it. Thoughts?

I mean the slower you acclimate a fish the better, but I have not every heard of anyone having bad results from drip acclimation as it usually takes an hour or so for me.

Back
Top Bottom