Making the switch from reef to fw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chefbill

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 90 gallon reef ready tank. I am going to switch it from Reef to freshwater as soon as I get rid of my livestock, corals, clean and re-cycle.
I am thinking I want several / many fish as opposed to a few large ones. I'm also thinking I want active colorful fish. Can somebody offer some stocking suggestions?

Chefbill
If you want a FW reef type setup, then the obvious solution is an African rift lake bio type. A little over crowding is necessary for equilibrium. I've gone that route, built a reef of Texas Holey rock, had a tank full of Mbuna, Haps and Peacocks, but soon got bored with it. Africans just weren't for me. I rehomed the Africans, kept the THR reef, then re-populated the tank with my favorite S.A. and CA cichlids as well as schools of tetras.
The New World path would be the most radical change from SW. In my view, a New World setup allows for more interesting species combinations.
I've seen numerous beautiful Asian bio type tanks posted as well. The sky's the limit. Have fun.

Chefbill

Like V227 said the skies the limit. I am also finishing up my conversion as well. I converted my reef ready 300 gallon into a fw setup. I am getting ready to start stocking the tank. I am keen to the overstocking as well and my choice is all male peacock cichlids.

I like that the males have the best coloration and since I am used to keeping a reef which as you know has some of the best colored fish the peacock will be a close seconded.

But as V227 said SA and CA has some pretty cool fish as well. Just do as much research as you can to help you decide. This forum is great has a lot of knowledge people who can help you along the way.

Good luck

I am thinking I want several / many fish as opposed to a few large ones. I'm also thinking I want active colorful fish. Can somebody offer some stocking suggestions?

This is a very loaded question.... My vote would be for 100 Chili rasbora.... now that's many fish as opposed to a few large ones :whistle:

If you want medium ish sized, check out Greggz rainbowfish tank on ThePlantedTank forum.... lots of color lots of activity

What's your source water parameters ? Best fish fits your water..There are many choices on both ends .

Back
Top Bottom