Male betta + female silver molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

browniecookie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are these good tankmates in a 10g? Also, probably a dumb question, but do different types of fish mate with each other? (I do NOT want to worry about any babies!)
Thanks so much for your input :flowers:

Many people will tell you that you can't keep Bettas with any other fish. Bettas are really funny about that. Some will not tolerate anything in their tank and some will. I don't recommend a Molly though in a 10 gallon or with a Betta. You could try shrimp, a snail, or a small schooling fish such tetras or Endler's Livebarers. A Betta might be okay with that but it really depends of the fish. Also, you have to be careful with small fish too because some can be fin nippers and eat your Bettas fins.

And no a Betta won't breed with another species of fish. :)

Mollies do tend to need bigger tanks, closer to a 30g.

Just make sure any fish that you want to keep with a betta doesn't have long flowing fins such as a guppy or there will be a chance of the betta looking at it like competition. Also, bettas are very particular about being kept with shrimp. Some don't mind it at all while others like mine are the shrimp's version of jeffery dahmer. You will really just have to experiment on what will work with yours.

Some suggestions:
Platy
Oto cats
Cory Cats
Harlequin Rasbora

I will tell you from personal experience that bottom feeder can be hard to keep with a Betta, even if the Betta accepts them. All my Bettas are little pigs and will often chase bottom feeders away and eat their food. Then of course, you have a bloated Betta. Not good. I have never tried it before but I would imagine harlequins or some other top dweller would have more of a chance at getting to food before the Betta. I housed a Cory with a Betta at one point and although they got along just fine, my Betta would eat the Cory's food before it could get a good meal. I imagine algae eaters would be fine though, I can't imagine a Betta havering too much interest in blanched veggies or algae wafers. :)

Hope this helps.

I've never had a problem getting food to my cory cats. I feed my betta frozen blood worms and he's just not agile enough to get all of the food before my corys get enough, but the blood worms do tend to sink.

Thanks for the info. I held his container up to my 10 g tank, and my silver molly was freaking out (she is kind of a spaz). So I followed my instinct and put my new betta in his own 0.5 g rectangle tank. I'm going to put a little plant in there soon, any recommendations? I'd post a pic but I don't see where I can attach.

Back
Top Bottom