Male molly is mating non-stop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, for one easy on the lanuage please, I don't really care, but this forum is suppose to be a nice PG type place.

Now on to the point, if your dad honestly wants to control the tank, let his fish die, and pretty much fail the fish. You should try to see if you can get your own tank, that you get to say what goes. Being a back seat aquarist with somone like your dad is just not going to work out for you it looks like.

If you can try to get your own tank, thats very much suggested. If that is not an option, then I don't know what to tell you, from the looks of it your dad is pretty stubborn. Tell him that this is now the future and it has so much more stuff that's better for the fish, and if he wants to let his fish die and suffer then that is his problem, not yours, try not to worry about it.

The hole jumping out of water thing is kind of common, well all fish will jump out of the water for some reason. I personally never had it happen to me, but my parents use to have tons of aquariums and they are a pleco jump out of there tank, accept you guys got lucky and got your back in and alive, my parents cat used the pleco has a chew toy :D.

Only thing I can think of is that it got scared or was getting chased near the top of the water then jumped out.

Fish will also sometimes jump if they can't get enough oxygen... ie, if the water quality is poor.

If I remember correctly you don't have a test kit correct?

If you're dealing with Ich, you can treat or not treat, but if you do lose all the fish you may want to let the tank sit for a couple of weeks (with filter on and putting fish food in every day or two to maintain the cycle) to let the Ich die off-- it can't live without a host.

Sorry about the bad language, I'll go and change the words right now. I'm just... very angry at Dad.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to get my own tank since I don't have a job and don't currently have any money of my own. Besides Dad wouldn't understand if I wanted to get my own tank. He thinks that our current tank is "ours" but I don't. I think if people share something then they should always find a compromise but it seems we never find one, instead we always go his way. But I'm trying not to worry about it as you said since there's not much I can do about it.

I'm glad to hear the jumping out is normal. I've never seen this happen before either. I think you may be right about her being chased. We have one rawdy male molly and I bet 100% that she just got tired of him. I'm also glad our cat didn't use her as a chew toy, haha. Although she constantly sits on the tank and beats her paws on the tank walls in an attempt to get to the fish.

Thank you for letting me know, bluerose. The lack of oxygen could also be a possibility since we can't filter the water as often because of the fry (since they always get sucked into the filter), therefore the water quality might be poor.

You're right, we don't have a test kit. I'll try to talk my Dad into buying one as well as some liquid medicine and will see where that goes. I try to save up money through research participation on campus and quick cash such as snow shoveling but it slips through my hands like sand into presents and other miscellanea. I think I'm going to have to now find a way to make money to keep a safe tank.

Yeah my little cat tries to get the fish by hitting the glass too, I just laugh at her :D.

Try to ask for some money from your birthday or christmas or other holidays if you can. Or just try to get a job, if your old enough.

I don't know what else to tell you if your dad won't let you do anything. I've really gave you all the ideas I can think of :D Sorry

I'm considering getting a job. I'm 18 so it's no problem.

I really appreciate your advice. I'll try to do my best! In the meantime merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you and your little buddies. :x-mas:

Well then you are old enough. Yeah I just used like half of my christmas money on fish tank stuff, well i'm planning on starting to breed dwarf shrimp for my money so I don't have to get a job. Well really I don't need one now since i'm only 15, but still my parents complain I ask for too much money lol. So I expect to make anywhere from 2K-4K a year after I get the breeding going. I only spent about 145 to get it all started (that also includes some of the shipping supplies I need.) I do plan on getting a job at my LFS though.

But yeah your welcome on the advice, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to yourself aswell :D

Is it Ich for sure?

I did have 1 male and 2 females but one female passed away yesterday. I still don't know why. She had some white spots on her when we saw her on the tank bottom, but I don't think she was very old. She also recently gave birth to some fry. My Dad's theory is that she was too old, my theory is that my cat clawed her (one day her paws and face were wet after sitting on the aquarium); but we still don't know the true cause. We got the fish only about a week ago. We're planning to buy another female soon, likely tomorrow.

I was looking at the initial post and was wondering if your white spots look like salt or are more puffy and cotton like. If puffy, it could be a fungus or bacteria. I had this with my mollies and am treating them at the moment. Check my post if you want to see the pics to compare.

Good luck with you tank and you fish.

The white spots were on my two female mollies that recently died, one a couple of days ago and one yesterday. The spots didn't really look like spots, more like white blotches by their pectoral fins. But I didn't see them right away, I had to look very closely. It seemed they developed the white blotches shortly before dying. :(

The white spots were on my two female mollies that recently died, one a couple of days ago and one yesterday. The spots didn't really look like spots, more like white blotches by their pectoral fins. But I didn't see them right away, I had to look very closely. It seemed they developed the white blotches shortly before dying. :(

I am so sorry for your loss, are the molly babies doing okay? How about your other fishy friends?

We seem to have less molly fry now compared to a week ago. I think the adult mollies might be eating the babies when they're hungry but I'm not worried about that since I heard it's typical. Plus my female molly is pregnant and is due very soon. She seems to be getting along well with the male. Upon acquainting with her he calmed down a lot and behaves much better now. Overall everything seems fine at the moment.

Tell him to not do the heat treatment, he should know what it is since he is old school. Tell him to just get the liquid treatment, faster and safer for all fish.
I have to disagree, medication is not safer than the heat treatment. Many will agree with me on this
IMO advising someone something that simply isn't true is not the best advice. The heat treatment is outlined many many times on the forums. It is safe and works very well. You can choose meds if you want, but it is a choice you should make. To me it is the equivalent of treating myself with medication when a change in diet or something else natural would work.

White blotches on your mollies could be a bacterial fungus. Such as columnaris. Keep an eye out that no more mollies get the spots. Columnaris is a fast killer and will take out an entire tank. If the white blotches reappear, treat with a good bacterial medication.

Thank you Zagz!

I agree! Zagz has been quite helpful with my sick mollies, who suffered from -I believe- columnaris and are much better. Careful diagnostic is very important because the wrong treatment can do more harm than good and stress an already sick fish.

Back
Top Bottom