Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

many question newbie! help! molly w shimmies.

Ok my setup.
40Gal tank
whisper powerhead
airpump (works great)

Now for the fish.

Bala shark
Three goldies
dalmation molly
painted glass
chinese algae eater
Pleco

the molly is shimmying. Idk if i fed em too much. What would be a good diet for all my fish.And as i type this message the molly has stopped the shimmies and is darting around the tank. I need some tips on how to get the tank to self sustain except food of course. Just a all round healthy living enviroment. Or is that contradicting for a fresh water aquarium? Also i got the fish two days ago.. also id like some signs on when the fish i do have get sick besides basic fin rot slime and hemmoraging. Thank you so much.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA!! First things first, do you have a good liquid test such as the API fw master test kit? A bottle of Prime or Amquel Plus? Your tank is not cycled and these items will be mandatory in order to see fish safely through a fish-in cycle. Your fish's odd behavior is likely due to high toxin levels.

Unfortunately, I will have to be the bearer of bad news here. You have some very serious incompatibility and overstocking issues. Goldfish are coldwater fish. The rest of your fish are tropical. Depending on the type of goldfish (fancy or singletail), your tank is fully stocked with three fancies and no other fish. If they are singletail goldfish such as commons, comets or shubunkins, they honestly are better suited to a pond as they have even greater water requirements. You honestly need to decide first if you want a tropical or coldwater tank and return the fish that are not appropriate.

Your likely to also have further issues with compatibility and appropriate tank size if the pleco is a common (they grow up to 2ft), with the CAE and the bala. Ill let others further advise on possible issues with these guys and school/group issues with the single molly and the glass fish. You can also check the Aqadvisor.com site for further info.

I will post some articles below with further information on fish-in cycling, setting up a fw tank and goldfish for you to read. Please ask any questions!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfi...-11174823.html

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Old 05-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

you might want to take the goldies off your list. they have a complete regiment when it comes to fish keeping. colder temperature, diet, etc.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Bala sharks get to 16+ inches.....same with certain types of goldies...well and the pleco if not a small breed.

Mollies would work they are smaller and are really cool fish IMO
Gourami are great too dwarf or full size

Just make sure you research any fish you want before you get them....like stated you have an odd mix going on tropical with cold water and species that grow larger than the tank you have.

Tags
molly, newbie, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com