many questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tornadonick

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just keep thinking of random questions and am to lazy to look everything up seperatly so...
1. is there a better time of day to be feeding them(community by the way, still getting into it, currently 2 plattys and 2 mollys).
2. i read a couple people saying that there fish acted hungry, how would i tell.
3. I would assume so but are balloon bellied molly and a cremecicle molly breedable.
4. i know people like to by fish online, but how does transportation even work, i ask especially because keeping mollys and platys i am not going to be surprised to find some little fry swimming around one day and want to try to sell them.
5.There is a space i want to keep some fish, but the aquarium can not be longer than 20 inches or so, what are standard size tanks that would fit there, and actually, the taller for this spot the better(want to keep cichlids there for the record.
6. my tank right now is a 29 gallon, how big of a tank would be recomended for a QT.
7. what other fish would you recomend i finish filling it with. I like a lot of variety and color
8. how bad is it to only have 1 or 2 individual schooling fish of the same species.

I will probably have more here and will probably ask them later :)

www.google.com

I kept thinking about answers, but I'm too lazy. :p

1. IMO- Any time is fine. Fish eat random amounts at random times whenever they have the opportunity in the wild.
2. Fish don't act hungry. They get hyper because they associate you with a free meal.
3. Not sure, I don't think the balloons are usually viable breeders.
4. Shipping fish safely is easy if you prepare yourself properly. Just like keeping fish, you need "stuff" (Foam, boxes, O2, bags, padding, etc.) to do it correctly.
5. That is going to severely limit you I'm afraid.
6. Big enough to house the biggest fish that you need it for. 10s are usually adequate for most "community" fish.
7. Too many options... what do you like?
8. Pretty bad, not terrible, better than grossly overstocking.

thanks for the help, as far as what i like, my problem is mainly that I love everything and get a bit overwelmed when i try to pick something out.

also, i know in fish cycling is not recomended, but when i get another tank, would it hurt to drop my betta in there for a few days, since they dont really require much work in there own tank, i thought it makes sense

Just move some filter media. No need to stress out fish.

1) I feed my communities twice a day, mid morning and then night

2) My fish always look hungry... I can tell because they all swim up to the glass and follow me when I'm looking at their tank. I don't think they're "hungry" so much as "greedy"

3) Don't know

4) When I've had frys before (is that right? Fry? Fries? Frys?) I just post on Craigslist or put a sign in the grocery store and trade something for them, or get a couple bucks for them. IME livebearer fry isn't worth a lot

5) Search for "standard aquarium sizes" on Google

6) About the same size, IMO. You can always put a divider in or something if it's too big, and that way if you have a larger fish it will have enough room

7) Other livebearers, maybe? Swordtails are really beautiful fish and they come in lots of colours and patterns

8) I don't know if it is bad, per se, but you'll see a lot more of schooling fish if they are able to school, otherwise they might be timid and hide a lot.

Back
Top Bottom