Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2006, 01:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Many questions need answered for new aquarium/ Native Fish?

I have a 46 gallon bowfront. Need help with complete setup I also want to stock with native freshwater fish. (i.e. sunfish) Can anyone recommend a solution I want to be able to do the least amount of maintenance possible. I have heard that UGFs are more of a hindrance than help. Is this true? I also have a 30 gallon rectangular that I want to startup with a peaceful community. I am a catch and release fisherman, but would like to become a catch and research. Does anyone know where I can find advice on the native fish? Beforehand, all help is greatly appreciated, and oh yeah NEW MEMBER, Hello to all

Old 03-04-2006, 04:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

For sunfish, a 46 may be big enough to house a pair (IF you can establish a pair, best bet would be to start w/6 juvies and let them choose, then remove the other 4, same as with cichlids) A HOB filter, would be good, personally I'd use an Aquaclear 110/500 for versatility and easy maintenance. An UG filter isn't necessary. Some live plants would be helpful too.

Old 03-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks tnb, did I do something wrong? Why no replies?
Old 03-06-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't think you did anything wrong, I just think most people here know more about typical aquarium fish than native species. I don't know what kind of sunfish you are talking about. I doubt its bluegill- which is what I know as a sunfish in WI. A 46 seems awfully small for stocking native fish. An under gravel is easy for a small tank with frequent maintenence, but not a 46 gallon.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you are really interested in going with native fish the best place to start is wichever fish and game comission that is relivent with your state or province(you didn't complete your profile) as some states frown on keeping of game fish(like fines and jail time). So if i were you I would contact them first to find out the legality. Then if you can keep native speicies they will probably have a wealth of knowlege on them. good luck let us know how it goes.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Andos99
Where are you from? Are you interested in keeping native fish in relation to your region or state or just the U.S. in general? Check out http://www.nativefish.org/ to learn more. My local fish store had some Bass (I forget the actual species, but they were extremely colorful) and it got me thinking about doing something native myself.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Also, check with the laws in your area. Some places I believe it's illegal to house native fish in an aquarium. Also, you might want to think about fairly heavily planting it in the back, and shorter plants up front, and maybe some driftwood. Either a HOB or a cannister would be my preference. Cannisters will probably be better at keeping the water clean, as native fish can be a bit more messy, like some cichlids.

Tags
native

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com