manzanita driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bryannao

Aquarium Advice Regular
so, i don't know quite that much about the whole deal with the fish business, but i'm curious. if i were to purchase some manzanita driftwood, is there anything special i have to do to it?(special preparation, keep it alive maybe? etc.) please help!

boil to take out tannins and kill off any looters who might have still survived. mazanita wood shouldnt float I believe.

Manzanita is my favorite driftwood it hardly leaches any tannins at all and is generally pretty clean naturally but boiling shouldn't hurt just in case also it takes on water faster than most other wood. I've found the larger pieces can take up to a week to sink but smaller lighter pieces only take a day or two I actually bought some yesterday and it is almost sunk in my 10 gallon dwarf puffer tank.

Yes boil it until it sinks. If your impatient, then boil and tie it down to something heavy in your tank.

so if a get a much larger piece(29"X15"X9"), how would i boil that..? i don't think i have a pot that large..
could i just pour boiling water into a bucket with it?

You could run it through a clean dishwasher a few times but more than likely it still won't sink right away I would suggest after boiling to glue it to some slate rocks and bury the rocks in the substrate so you don't see them.

Back
Top Bottom