Marineland penguin filter problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcmakesiteasy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Marineline bio wheel penguin 100 filter for my 10 gallon and i woke up this morning to it not working. The wheel no longer was spinning, nor did it seem like it was even on. I tried unplugging it, plugging it into different outlets as well. It was plugged into my surge protector along with my heater and tank lights and those are working perfectly fine. Any advice as to what I should do? I bought it used and i suspect it is just broken.

Oh and how long can my fish survive without it being on? I cant do anything about it till i come back from work at 430

When was the last time you cleaned the impeller and intake tube?

never, I only got the tank a week ago, it was used. How do I go about cleaning those things? I put my ear next to the filter and it doesnt even seem to be on even though it is plugged in

Pull off the intake tube by, usually, lifting straight up. Run some water through it and use a pipe cleaner on it if you have one, if not just do your best.
The impeller is right below where the intake tube sits inside the filter. There may be a cover over it you have to pull off or you may have to twist and remove the motor to get to it. Pull the impeller out of the motor and clean it real good. Use a Q-tip or something to clean out the hole the impeller sits in. Give the whole thing a good rinse.
If it doesn't run after that you probably need a new filter. I suggest an AquaClear, less fuss - better overall filter - cheaper to maintain in the long run.

thanks i will try that once i get home. But my tank is newly cycled maybe a week old and Im wondering if changing my filter it would effect the water levels?

Back
Top Bottom