Marineland portrait or fluval speck V or?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daisymay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am looking for a small tank for my betta.I found the portrait for $58 with heater. prefer to be able to plant it with some java fern,java moss and maybe anubias.I saw the marineland portrait and also the fluval speck.

i prefer the marineland as it doesnt take up so much floor space. and has a closing lid vs speck which i believe has a hole in the top.
I was hoping to go with something like 10 gal but dont have the "floor space".
my betta was doing fine but had lost power and so the house got quite cold. he is in a one gal. He will hopefully still be alive when i find a bigger tank for him with a heater.
anyone have this tank? i read some reviews and they seem to be good. I do not have experience with plants but have been reading about water plants. can i use play sand or do i need to get the ADA,eco complete for plants? i will need to order all as i dont have a pet store near me. also what driftwood is recommended?

anyone with these tanks?

advice? i really need to get a tank for my betta soon. the portrait is cheaper so thinking of going with that one.
what substrate should i get for a few plants also? can i set up the substrate,water, plants then try to find someone with a healthy tank for some good bacteria?
what heater is recomended? most i see are pre set which doesnt seem like a great idea to me.

If you can possibly do an 8 to 10 gallon it would be better for the Betta. And a bit more stable. If not I think the longer tank, the Spec would provide longer swimming space.

50 watt heater and adjustable and submersible is better.

If you can possibly do an 8 to 10 gallon it would be better for the Betta. And a bit more stable. If not I think the longer tank, the Spec would provide longer swimming space.

50 watt heater and adjustable and submersible is better.
Ditto....and I know the light on the spec grows plants.

thank you, i prefer to stay with that size but if i could go for a 8-10 gal. which one would be the best and also under $100 for a setup that can also have low light level plants?

i did see a 10 gal at walmart but they have gone up since i have last had a 10 gal. and then the lid.if i just go get items separate. any recomendations on what brand of tank, top, light, filter,heater, substrate.... thanks so much.

Petco has dollar per gallon sale going on...you could set up a 10 pretty cheap or you could spend alot. Regardless, youll usually end up with a better set up than most kits.

Go to the big pet stores for sales. I found these on Amazon IMG_8311.jpgIMG_8312.jpg
You will just need to add a heater.

Back
Top Bottom