Master API Kit Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plumwd

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29G tank with 150 watt Fluval heater and the Penguin 200 filter system.

The tank has been setup for about 9 days now. I have one tiger barb, there were 6 (inherited and sick), but 5 died. Last one seems to be great and thriving.

Anyway I have been testing the water to check levels and ensure that they are not out of spec. The test results are always the same. Ammonia at 1 ppm Nitrites and Nitrates at 0. I've followed the kit instructions to the letter so I'm really confused.

I've been doing daily water changes to make sure I don't kill the survivor and treating with Seachem Prime.

Is it possible the kit is bad or am I totally messing things up?

My tap water tests positive for ammonia (chloramine).

How much ammonia is in your tap water? If you have ammonia in the tap water, that is why you are seeing it in the tank.

How much ammonia is in your tap water? If you have ammonia in the tap water, that is why you are seeing it in the tank.

Or maybe the fact the tank is 9 days old and will be going through the start of a cycle?

You have to do a Partial Water Change to keep that ammonia as low as possible.

If it's currently at 1ppm a 50% change will not drop it into the "safe" limits.

2 50% changes over the corse of a few hours will lower it I safe levels.

Also you'll have to test some pure water to make sure your kit is reading correctly.

I know the ammo tests colours don't match up to the card exactly.

I know but she said her tap water tests positive for ammonia

I just don't think 1 tiger barb could increase ammonia that much, unless there has never been a water change. Op have you done a water change? The ammonia will just keep going up without one.

Personally I would find a home for the tiger barb and do a fish less cycle. That one fish is stopping you from the taking the easy option.
There is plenty of advice and links for fish less cycling if you are insure.
Good luck with the tank.

Sorry I see now on re-reading that you do daily water changes.

We really need to know the ammonia in your tap, so I would run a test on that

Also I agree that life will be way easier than you if you divest your single fish so that you can cycle fishless

I have a friend nearby who can maybe take him. I'll have to ask.

The tap water reads 1.0 ppm as well.

Aha. OK, in your case, you DEFINITELY want to cycle your tank without fish, because you'll need the tank to be able to take care of the ammonia that comes straight from your tap.

Back
Top Bottom