Max Weight of Substrate to Use And Be Safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

highflyin128

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am getting my new 90 gallon tank ready to go. I am looking to switch to sand. I bought 100 lbs of pool filter sand.

I currently use 86 lbs of gravel in my 45 gallon bow tank.

My question is how much is too much weight to put in my 90 gallon or will I be ok putting 150-200 lbs of sand.

I know 100 lbs isn’t going to be enough to make it at least the recommended 1.5" in deep substrate. And I don’t want to put too much in and find it all in the carpet. LOL

90 gallons of water weighs about 720lbs. I can't imagine that 200lbs of sand is gonna be that big of a deal.

I think 100lbs of sand will be plenty. My friend used 100lbs in his 75gal (same footprint as a 90), and it looks fine.

90 gallons of water weighs about 720lbs. I can't imagine that 200lbs of sand is gonna be that big of a deal.

I think 100lbs of sand will be plenty. My friend used 100lbs in his 75gal (same footprint as a 90), and it looks fine.

Thanks for the input.

You will be fine. Tanks are made to hold a ridiculous amount of weight inside. I can't find the link right now, but every so often someone posts pics from a tank manufacturer with a 90 filled with bags of lead shot. This is what they design em to take. :D

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom