Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Media clogging pump chamber

Hello everyone hope you are enjoying your day I just completed a fishless cycle with ammonia on a Fluval spec 16 gallon in 10 days. I waited until 5 days after that to add any fish.

My pump chamber is clogged because I have too much media in my baskets. I was wondering if it is safe now to wring out the sponges and filter floss in tank water? I read that this will help water flow through better. I do not want to take anything out yet because it is so new. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks)

Old 10-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #2

You will generally only add filter floss if you want to remove particles. That is probably what is lowering your flow.
You can clean all media in tank water

Old 10-17-2019, 03:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenticular View Post
You will generally only add filter floss if you want to remove particles. That is probably what is lowering your flow.
You can clean all media in tank water
Oh I see!! Yeah I do have too much media in there. When I cycled my tank I also ran an Aquaclear 20 HOB on the back. I took the media from that and added it to my baskets. I think that is what the problem is. I don't wanrt to take anything out since it has only been cycled for 15 days.

Thanks))
Old 10-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephpartin View Post
Oh I see!! Yeah I do have too much media in there. When I cycled my tank I also ran an Aquaclear 20 HOB on the back. I took the media from that and added it to my baskets. I think that is what the problem is. I don't wanrt to take anything out since it has only been cycled for 15 days.

Thanks))
No problem. Also fiahless cycles usually take 30 days 20minimum so be sure do measure NO2 and NH4
Old 10-17-2019, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenticular View Post
No problem. Also fiahless cycles usually take 30 days 20minimum so be sure do measure NO2 and NH4
I ran all tests with the Master API test kit. The day it cycled I left 5 more days after that to test the water before I put the fish in.

Tags
log, media, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com