Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Messed up cycle?

So I had a 10 gallon tank that I was doing a fish in cycle in and I was in the middle of the cycle and had nitrites for about 2 weeks. I couldn't help my addiction to this hobby and I upgraded too soon to a 50 gallon and moved the filter media from the smaller tank into the bigger one and for the last month I have had nitrites and a little ammonia . I have 9 fish in this tank . Did I mess up my cycle? I have two 50 gallon filters on this tank. How much longer can I expect to be cycling?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fish in cycles take usually 8 weeks.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

My 46g took about 6 wks on its Fish IN cycle & my 10g took 8 wks. Nitrites in my 10g lasted 2 wks & the 46g only had them for a day so every tank is different. If you've had nitrItes for 2 wks I'd say you are REALLY REALLY close, mine were just gone one day. I tested for a week after to make sure.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca
My 46g took about 6 wks on its Fish IN cycle & my 10g took 8 wks. Nitrites in my 10g lasted 2 wks & the 46g only had them for a day so every tank is different. If you've had nitrItes for 2 wks I'd say you are REALLY REALLY close, mine were just gone one day. I tested for a week after to make sure.
Thanks for the info
Old 10-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Look It Up

If you moved the media from the 10 to the 50 it shouldn't have messed up anything. lf you added more fish when you upgraded before the cycle was complete, that is probably why you're continuing to see toxins. What fish are in there now? Are you doing water changes to combat the toxins? Also keep an eye on PH; if it drops too much it can slow things (mid-low 6's). Here's a link if you haven't seen it: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com